Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

Is my knuckle broken? (top knuckle, middle finger) I know I

Is my knuckle broken? (top knuckle, middle finger) I know I injured it during a ball game a month or so ago...the bruising is long gone but the pain is getting worse. Pain is on the side of the knuckle and really hurts with any amount of pressure on the tip of the finger.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

How severe is the pain on a scale of 1 to 10?

Is there any associated swelling?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The pain while inactive is about a 2 (seems a little worse everyday) but when pressure is applied at the side of hte knuckle or when i press down in the end of my finger tip it is more like a 6 or 7.

There was swelling and bruising but both have subsided...there is just a little bit of swelling now...not enough to restrict movement.

Thank you very much for the useful information Sarah.

Ok, at this point since 1 month has already passed and the pain is still severe it should be re-evaluated.

Sometimes the pain take few months to subside completely but we also can not rule out the possibility of a fracture in the bone (which might be thin/hair line) resulting in delayed or inappropriate healing.

You should also take Advil or Motrin for better control of pain and inflammation.

And have an X-ray done to rule out any possible fracture.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.