Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My mother is 94 and was put in the hospital with a vertebral

fracture. They say it...
My mother is 94 and was put in the hospital with a vertebral fracture. They say it is getting worse and I have been advised that they are using diodraul (sp). They took her off it three days ago and when I visited her today she was totally out of her mind. Please advise
7/2/2013
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Hello Shelley ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Dilaudid
(Hydromorphone Hydrochloride), is opiate analgesic and is given for the moderate pain. In older age group this may cause mental clouding which may take almost 5-7 days to recover. But the disorientation or other mental / neurological symptoms can be due to many other reasons (apart from the medications adverse effects) like;

1) abnormal kidney function tests
2) abnormal liver function tests
3) other metabolic abnormalities
4) electrolyte imbalances.

So a complete metabolic panel is advised for ascertainment of the cause. You may discuss all these with her treating doctors. Doctors may explain you the anticipated cause and reasons for her symptoms.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

The doctor told me today she was dehydrated....but we give her overnight to try and drink fluids to alleviate the problem. Could that cause her also to be hallucinating?

Hello Shelley,

Just dehydration is usually not responsible for the hallucination. The dehydration, if associated with the electrolyte imbalances (like hyponatremia / decreased sodium) or acid base imbalance (acidosis / alkalosis) can cause the hallucination. This can be determined by blood work like serum electrolytes, blood pH, urine exam etc.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

My mother has been diagnosed with dementia now. She is being released tomorrow....what can I expect.?

Hello Shelley,

There are two common dementia; Vascular dementia is the second most common form of dementia after Alzheimer disease. Demented patients will develop psychosis, delusions, hallucinations and paranoia at some point in their disease and sometimes agitation. Patients with dementia commonly have mood and behavioral changes. Emotional lability may be a prominent symptom in some patients. Executive functioning deficits are seen with severe memory loss and cognitive impairment.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)