Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I think i may have brain damage i feel very different from

Customer Question
before everything has changed. Everyone...
I think i may have brain damage i feel very different from before everything has changed. Everyone can notice the change. But my ct scan shows clear. But i feel a different person i was drinking alchol at the time i remember hitting my head but dont know where i was went to bed woke up a diffeent person but doctor thinks its all in my head. Please help.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Health
6/29/2013
Health Professional: Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD) replied 4 years ago
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)

When was the incident of hitting head happened to you?

Do you feel lightheadedness,headache,confusion?

Concentration and memory complaints?
Irritability and other personality changes?

Are you taking any medications?

Do you drink alcohol daily?

What is your occupation?

Stress and anxiety?

Thanks.

i feel i have a very bad head ache all time poor concentration feel very larthargic tired feel likd my personality has changed i just feel irritble all time ive totally changed less interested in everything. Not sleeping or eating well. Is it possible i may have damaged my brain stem. Dont drink daily, not working at moment i was.

When was the head injury happened to you?

Are you taking any medications?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Thanks.

It happened 4 weeks ago now stoll feel the same, i aldo had a head injury when i was 14 too a bad one. But i was fine ip until 4 weeks ago ive stopped going out and my body feels tired all the time.

Thanks for providing more information.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Firstly i understand your concern and as you describe possible cause may include concussion/post concussion syndrome.

Concussion is the sudden but short-lived loss of mental function that occurs after a blow or other injury to the head.

Symptoms of a concussion may not start right away; they may start days or weeks after the injury.

Symptoms may include a headache,nausea, ringing in your ears, dizziness,tiredness,Confusion or feeling as if in a fog,concentration and memory complaints,irritability and other personality changes.

You may feel dazed or not your normal self for several days or weeks after the injury.

It's good that your CT scan is fine.

And most of the cases of concussion,patients recover in few weeks.

If your symptoms are not improving over the time then in my opinion,a clinical examination by a neurologist should be considered in your case.

Proper rest,sound sleep,balanced diet can be very helpful.

Also avoid alcohol for a while.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a positive rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Is it possible i could have substai ed any brain damage as my balance is pretty poor. Also eould the hospital compare my ct from when i was 14 would damage or bleeding show up on ct or any swelling on the brain ad it feels like its swelling. Will i ho back to normal its been 4 weeks im even not talking much like a mental blockage or might the frontal lobe be damaged. Im mot sleeping very well at all. Im hopeing i dont have brain damage.
Also would damage still show up weeks 3 weeks later.
Thanks for the follow-up.
Well as you describe CT scan can detect any brain abnormality,bleeding,swelling in head.
And it can also detect damage after few weeks from head injury.
So having said this,as your CT scan is normal so chances of any gross brain damage are less.
However a neuropsychological examination by a neurologist should be considered to rule out functional disorder,cognitive abnormality.
Also if you have poor balance,dizziness,ear examination should be done to rule out inner ear inflammation or other ear pathology.
I suggest you to consult a neurologist for further evaluation and management.

Eould i need to see one through my doctor or could i see one private. It has reLly affected me i seem to have changed alot. My doctor thinks im depressed because a head injury has simler symptoms my voice as also gotten very hoarsey. but before the fall i was fine loke i said. I know its very hard to get an mri but something is makeing me feel different weather its the brain or brain stem. Im really lost what it could be but woke up a different guy. If anything did get damaged would the brain carry on getting damaged or will it stay in same place. My son as aldo seen a big change in me and hes only 9. Also can the brain heal or compensate even though i didnt get any treatment. Thanks

Well it's good to get referral to a neurologist from your regular doctor.

In case he is not willing then a direct consultation can be considered as well.

I understand your worry about your current symptoms and i also advise you to get a proper evaluation and management so that your symptoms'll resolve.

I hope this helps.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Just wondering if they have mised something on ct scan can the brain heal or compensate could things get better as i do feel damage somewhere im just not same person if so is it possible to adapt to who i am now.
Well usually CT scan can detect any brain abnormality.
And as your describe,your symptoms should be resolved in next few weeks.
And chances of brain damage are less.
Sometimes,pyschological factors like stress,anxiety can aggravate symptoms.
So i suggest you to consult your nearby neurologist in next few days to get proper evaluation and management.
You'll be fine dear.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Is there anychance of brain stem damage as i just feell my emotions and personality have just gone.
Symptoms of brain stem damage may include loss of consciousness,breathing problem,heart rate abnormality,balance disorder,sensory loss,cognitive impairment,coma.
And CT scan can detect brain stem damage.
Further a neurological examination and MRI brain can be advised.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Thankyou even though its vrry hard to get an mri scan doctor says its too costly and im not showing anything to suggest i need one but ive been wanting one for a while now. Does s big bang on the head take time to settle down does the brain get shaken about. Thanks
Post concussion syndrome lasts for few weeks to few months however symptoms subside gradually.
You should also make an appointment with a neurologist as well.

Thankyou i will try see one soon as i can. I just feel tired altime plus depression anxity with it too is this normal.
Thankyou i will try see one soon as i can. I just feel tired altime plus depression anxity with it too is this normal. Also very low enrrgy will i get back to mormal will it take longer cos ive had a head injury before.
Pyschological symptoms can be associated with post concussion syndrome.
And these symptoms gradually subside.

I am seeing a private doctor today and yo ne referee gor an mri hope they pick something up from that if there is anything wrong could it still br treeted weeks later.
If there 'll be any abnormality detect in MRI then it should be treated.

Good luck.
If you are satisfied with out conversation then
Thanks.
Thankyoi i here mris can detect alot in fine detail for blockages, nerves brain sten ,and so on i will explain to doctor today. Apart from post concussion what other posdibilites it could be because my doctor thinks it isnt really but all this is worrying me so hopefully the mri will pick everythinh ip. Thanks

Depression,pyschological factors like stress,anxiety,panic attacks can be contributing factors in your symptoms.
So these aggravating factors should be treated well.

Good luck.
Thanks.

Ive had anciett and depression all my life so i learndd to lived with it. I just feel like im a different person fron thebag on thr head. Ive booked my mri nowso even though it was 4 weeks ago will it still show up if anything is damaged.

If there is any brain damage then MRI can detect even after 4 weeks.

Good luck.
Thanks.

Is there any chance i could have damaged my neck or could i have broken anyrhing in my neck will normal xray show this up.

MRI of cervical spine is more advanced in detecting neck injury.

So further MRI can be advised.

If you are happy with my service, please provide a positive rating.

Ok thankyou. Would i know if id have broken anything.

X-ray cervical spine can detect fracture so if your X-ray is fine then chances of fracture are very low.

If you are satisfied with our conversation then positive feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)