Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

I'm a 54 year old male, don't smoke, have only an occasional

I'm a 54 year old male, don't smoke, have only an occasional glass of wine. I'm 5' 9", weigh 163. I eat a healthy diet. We raise much of our own food on our farm, so I work hard physically. Several years ago, I started having tingling on the left side of my face, sometimes in my neck and on the left side of my head. At the same time I began to have occasions where I would feel light-headed, become short of breath, become suddenly very weak and develop intense gas in association with the other symptoms. I've never had chest pains. I've seen a cardiologist and went through about every test imaginable related to the heart. All came back negative. I just completed tests on thyroid, pituitary and adrenal glands; all negative. I should say these symptoms usually come on when I've worked hard physically or when I'm under intense stress. I've become more heat intolerant as well. My blood sugar levels have also been normal. At the cardiologist's recommendation, I have increased my sodium intake (as it was low in our diet) and have cut out caffeine. I've tried to be careful about electrolyte replenishment. I've seen improvement, but still have times when the symptoms come on suddenly, significantly and unpredictably. It usually takes 2 - 3 days to recover after an episode. This is all very unnerving. Suggestions?

Do you have neck stiffness?

Do you feel such symptoms while changing position from sitting to standing or at other certain positions?

Have you undergone Carotid doppler study and MRI of brain so far?

Stuffy nose,clogged ears?

Muffled hearing?

Are you taking any medicines?

Thanks dear.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No stiff neck, no stuffy nose or clogged ears, no muffled hearing, no change when stand or sit, no meds, no Carotid doppler study. Had a concussion in February and an MRI was done. Also, my blood pressure has run between 120/70 and 140/90 over the last few years.

Thanks for providing more information.

As per your description,potential differential diagnosis may include Atherosclerosis of carotid artery,Nerve compression,Autonomic dysfunction,Vitamin B 12 deficiency.

So further investigations like

Carotid doppler study.

ANSAR - a test that helps us detect a problem within the autonomic nervous system (parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system) these are the systems that control our heart rate, blood pressure, sweating, coping with stress, digesting food, urinary and bowel functions and any imbalance among the two systems can make us very lightheaded,indigestion.

X-ray/MRI of Cervical spine to rule out nerve compression supplying face,head causing tingling sensation.

A consultation with a neurologist should be considered as well.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you kindly! Is the ANSAR test typically ordered through a neurologist?

Thanks for the follow-up.

Well in my opinion,you need to be seen by a neurologist for further evaluation.

And ANSAR test can be advised by neurologist after undergoing a complete clinical examination.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks ever so much! I'll follow up with my family physician and ask that he refer me to a neurologist!

You are most welcome.

It's my pleasure to help you in any health related question in future as well.

You can ask me health related query anytime.

If you are satisfied then it's good to see you again with good health.

Good luck.

Thanks dear.