Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Talked to the dr at mayo. He said. Addendum: 6/24/13 16:30

Talked to the dr at...
EGD showed gastric ulcer with clean base and persistent gastritis and duodenitis. Biospy showed chronic inflammation. Results discussed with patient. Increase cholestyramine and told to stop PPIs and H2B to check of h. pylori and gastrin levels. Test to be done in 07/10/13.
6/24/2013
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
OK--so did he actually talk to you about that?
He didnt really say much. Just thatci had an ulcer still, lots of infammation and that he wanted to do more tests that requires me to stop the nexium and ranitidine. But im suppose to tAke the ranitidne for 3 more days before i stop it
OK--at least now you have something to show the nay-sayers that are saying it's all in your head.
How can the gi dr say i have chronic inflammation when the path repoet says i have negligible inflammation? Why do i have to stop the meds?
He saw the inflammation and the path report really didn't say--I don't think--negligible inflammation. And the ulcer was there. You have to stop the meds to make the gastrin levels valid and to see if H pylori has only been suppressed by the meds
It did say that. How can i havr h pylori if the biopsies showed no h pylori
Why are we arguing here? What's at the bottom of this? Is it just that you don't know just yet exactly what's going on or is it that you just want to be negative about the whole thing?
Im not just being negative
what's the point of your questions?
Im just not sure of this whole thing
What do you mean by that?
I dont know that it sounds like a good idea to stop my meds
They obviously aren't helping with this.
But the ranitidine helps the reflux at nighttime
Not really--it doesn't do anything for the reflux itself but you still haven't gotten to the bottom here--if it will help with your diagnosis, so what if you have to stop the meds for a short time?
What if things get worse when i stop them? Thatd what im afraid of
Things won't get worse but let's stop with the what if's--I've told you time and again that gets us nowhere and if a Mayo doc wants you to stop them, you need to stop them
You kinda make me feel like you dont care if something scares/worries me
You always seem to put thoughts and feelings in my mind that aren't there--just because I'm being stern with you doesn't mean I don't care but I'm not going to support your fears and worries.
You make me feel like my worries and fears arent justified
You justify them but I just told you it won't hurt to stop the meds for a short time and the Mayo doc knows no harm will be done so if you want to go with your own thoughts and not trust the two of us, that's up to you
Ive been on them for over a year
again, they aren't helping obviously but stop with the yes/buts here.
Im sorry. My anxiety about this is just really high
That's OK but just stop telling yourself these worst-case scenarios
I dont really think you know how bad my anxiety has been lately
That's something where your therapist needs to be in the picture
He doesnt understand how bad it is
Well, I've given you tips before on how to deal with it and I don't have any more to add. You seem to be functioning despite the anxiety
You pretty much are saying theres nothing you can do
Not in a forum like this, no
What would you tell me if i were your patient
What I've told you before and we can't get into chatting again. In short, work on your self esteem modules and your gratitude list, work with others when you're worried about yourself, stay very active and don't sit still for long, and--unfortunately this part doesn't seem to apply to you--lean on your Higher Power. Also--meditate on and think about good things happening to and for you
I feel like i have screwed up my life so much
I'm not going there--we've been over that many times. I know you don't like the term but you really fall into the feeling sorry for yourself too easily
Im not feeling sorry for myself. Im feeling overwhelmed and depressed
I feel like I have screwed up my life so much" is a perfect feeling sorry for oneself comment.
Its not feeling sorry for myself. I feel out of control.
I've got nothing more to say--I told you what I'd tell my patients and that's all I can say. So unless you've got something specific to discuss briefly, we might as well close the page
Why do i need to takre the ranitidine forb3 days before stopping it
He just wants to stop the two meds one at a time. Enough for now--OK?
Im sorry if i irritated you last night
Wasn't irritate--just had to be stern with you
My vitamin d is low again
Could be an absorption problem with you GI thing. Could potentially be because of the Nexium and Zantac
Its 18 normal is 30. Im taking 2 calcium with vit d a day
I gave you my answer about that
Absorption problem
Im not being dumb. What do you mean
If you're taking a supplemental vitamin D and the level isn't rising then most likely your gut isn't absorbing the vitamin D and PPI's and H2 blockers can interfere with vitamin absorption
It did rise from13 to 18 in 4 momths
Then why did you ask me about it?
Necaue its still not up to normal
Well, it still may be a partial absorption problem and not all of the supplement is getting absorbed. At least the rise should continue. Hey--rules again--long page, several answers--time for a rating
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Why will you not answer my new question
Because like I said before you need to rate a page from time to time. You can't just use the site for free for very long. That's the rules and unless you do rate from time to time they'll ban you from the site.
I thought i did
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)