Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

NURSE MILLI ONLY! I am having shoulder pain when i try to

NURSE MILLI ONLY!
I am having shoulder pain when i try to lie down to go to sleep.

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Camille

Hi there and thank you for the question. Haven't seen you on here in a while.
Also, sorry for the delay in answering you back. I've been out of pocket most of the day.
Tell me, is your shoulder sore when you try to lie down or do you have actual pain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It pretty much
Hurts when I move the arm certain ways, but that has improved some since the shot(s)-My biggest difficulty at present is trying to get comfortable for sleep-oh-and the Advil is helping as well!
Ok, I understand. I didn't see when you got your last injection into the shoulder, but as the medication wears off, the pain will return. The injection most likely contains a steroid which will decrease inflammation but as the medication goes away, the inflammation will increase once again. The advil is helping the inflammation but it won't give you the relief you are looking for most likely (but continue taking it so that it doesn't get any worse)...Sounds like you need to experiment with various pillows to see if proping the shoulder up a little will help ease it. Try big pillows, soft pillows, any pillow you can find. Wedge it up under your shoulder (if you are lying on your back) and see if that helps. It may take a few repositionings to get it like you want, but propping it up might help. Also, don't lay on your side (on the shoulder that is hurting) as this will put pressure on it as well (you probably can't do this anyway because of the pain). Also, you can use ice or heat (whichever feels best) right before bed to see if that will also ease it so that you can rest. There are some very good creams out on the market as well. Biofreeze is one of them. It will give a cold feeling to the area (mimics ice) and will help to decrease inflammation. Try these things and let me know if they help!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I see you have changed your picture icon!!!! Luckily, i remembered your name!

I shall try the pillow tonight and get back to you....wish me luck!

good luck! :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the ideas--sure wish YOU were '"here...." I was unable to come up w/anything comfortable--

I tried the heat prior to bed, and then diff pillow configurations....no soap!

Tonight, i think i will try a heat patch--Th heat seems to help some....and don't worry; i won't get burned!

It is hard to help folks from a distance no doubt! Heat will help some while ice (or cold) will help others. Since hear helps, lets do a moist heat....my best suggestion is to get a sock (long tube-type sock)....fill it 3/4 full or half way with rice (plain ol' white rice is good). Tie the top of the sock and heat the sock in the microwave in increments of 20 seconds. When it's as warm as you'd like, simply wrap it around the shoulder. The warm moist heat will help tremendously. Also, the moist heat will help the heat penetrate better.
Try this and let me know how it feels. :)
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for all of your ideas!

The pillow one helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am going to get a cortisone injection on Aug. 15th--do you think this will help?

Hi there. Yes, it is certainly worth a try! Put some ice on the injection site to help reduce the inflammation from the injection.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How long 'til it begins to have an effect (boy, i wish you were HERE!!!!)??

After the injection, you may actually feel worse temporarily (bad I know) but after a few hours you should feel better. The trauma of the injection itself plus the irritating nature of the medication can tend to cause more pain/inflammation in the short term but will improve.
Might be a good idea to take an anti inflammatory medication beforehand to help things out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am already taking Advil for this (and another condition--see below)--'would like to NOT need to take it; that is PART of the reason i want the shot(i am scheduled for an epidural 2 weeks after this for my stenosis/disc condition)--the OTHER is, of course, to REDUCE PAIN.

Thoughts?

Sounds like your conditions are very much chronic and to have any sort of normal quality of life, it might be necessary to continue with an anti inflammatory if you can. Of course physical therapy, home exercises and heat/ice will contribute to feeling better, it may still be necessary to augment with the medication.
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)