How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 35485
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Went to my dr again and he put mw on pain meds and said next

This answer was rated:

Went to my dr again and he put mw on pain meds and said next logical step was surgery. Went to the back surgeon and he said mri from april did not seem bad enogh fir surgey. He ordered ct scan. Im waiting for the scan. If he cant do surgery to fix me what do i do? Should i get a second opinion? Surgeon barely spent 5 minutes with me and i had to make him feel the bulge in my back where the pain is coming from. Im on fmla and short term disability from this i want my life back!
Hello and welcome Tracy,

You need a second opinion from another spine surgeon. If epidural and pain medications are not giving relief, surgery is the next step. Following measures would be helpful, meanwhile ( I know you must have tried all these);

1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.

a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.

b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).

c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.

2) Cervical Collar or Brace

3) Cervical traction

4) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in whom pain / numbness / tingling is quite significant.

6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active against resistance regime.

7) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser and ultrasound.

8) Hot fomentation

9) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

now my husband says he thinks im faking because what the second dr said. my life is falling apart. im so frustrated!

Hello Tracy,

I can understand this that this is a chronic lingering issue and cause other problem. I am sure CT scan would show the changes which would point to the surgical indication. There are vast literature which tells that MRI many times do not show the exact severity of the disease. Severity of the symptoms and medical imaging many times do not match and decision making of the next treatment protocol is by the;

1) duration of the symptoms.

2) severity of the manifestations.

3) response to the treatment.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you