Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

About 5 years ago I began having pain in my left hip and

My name is***** 5 years...
My name is***** 5 years ago I began having pain in my left hip and leg. I was wounded in Vietnam and still have shrapnel in my left hip area. I thought it might be connected to that, so I complained to the VA. After X-rays and other things I was told that there was no problem with shrapnel. I started walking with a cane because that helped some with the pain. About six months ago the pain started on my right side also. I threw the cane away, it no longer helped. The pain is constant and walking 20 yards raises the level a lot. If I go up hill or get on a ladder it is almost unbearable. I can tell you that on a scale of 1 -10 I'm always about 4. If I walk out to get the mail it becomes 7. If I go up stairs or a hill it is 9. If I get on a ladder it's 10. Any of these require me to sit down and rest in order to catch my breath. I think I become out of breath because I'm fighting the pain so much. The VA has put me on codine 4 times a day, but that only helps a little. I'm now eligible for medicare and think maybe I should see a private Dr. What do you think of my condition and/or options?
6/20/2013
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)

Are you overweight?

Have you seen an Orthopedist so far?

Swelling,redness on leg?

Lower back pain?

Any other medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

I am about 20 lbs overweight. I have not seen an Orthopedist.

No swelling or redness. Yes I have lower back pain, but it is mild compared to my hips and legs. I walked point for 14 months in Vietnam, so I was not only carrying 100lbs on my back, I was also cutting and clearing a path for the rest of the team. I was wounded three times, but none serious enough to be sent home. I currently take lorazepam, Zanax , and Tylinol 3 with codine.

Thanks for providing more information.

Well as you describe in my opinion,you need to be seen by an Orthopedist for a clinical examination and undergo MRI of Lumbosacral spine & pelvis to rule out Herniated disc,Nerve compression,Arthritis, which result in sharp pain in hip and leg.

You shouldn't ignore it as such as your symptoms'll gradually get worse over the time.

You may require further prescribed medications like Strong opoid,Gabapentin.

Physical therapy can be effective in your case.

You may require a proper treatment rather than wait & watch approach.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a positive rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)