Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

What are the odds that a finding of one irregular nodule on

What are the odds that a finding of one irregular nodule on the upper left lobe of the lung would be lung cancer? No symptoms...just an incidental finding and have not smoked for 30 years. 70 years old but in excellent health. They say it hasn't seemed to grow in 2 months between an xray and ct, but they still seem to think its cancer.
Hi--why do the doctors think it's cancer and if they do, why haven't you had any treatment for it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is my husband...and I suppose they think it is cancer because of the irregular shape. He came home with very little detail except they gave it very little chance not to be cancer and that it had not grown in the last 2 months. I did not go the appointment with him because he had pneumonia late this winter and has had spots from that in the past...so since no family history and not smoking for 30 years I did not suspect bad news. He is getting a PET today after just getting the results of the CT on Monday...and I wondered if the percentage is very high that it will be cancer since they recommended a PET and biopsy.

OK. About 95% of these nodules are benign and since it hasn't enlarged in two months that makes it more likely that this is benign. The irregular shape is more suggestive of cancer and it does need further evaluation with the PET scan and the biopsy, but from the history you gave me, I think there's an excellent chance that after all is said and done this turns out to be a benign granuloma. I wish I could tell you there's no chance this is cancer, but I really don't think it is.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One more thing..he is a farmer and has been around farm chemicals. However, he always where gloves and a respirator mask if using them. Does this increase the odds a lot?

Not really and I don't think, considering his age and the precautions he used that the chemical exposure changes my opinion here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you