Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

ordered stat in cath lab: IV nitro 400mcg

on hand IV nitro 50mg per 10ml or 5mg per ml

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Can you please explain your question?

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes, hello. this is a common order that I have not yet received. The cath lab MD occasionally orders 200 or 400 mcg nitroglycerine drawn up for him to give through the sheath. Stock is a 10ml vial of 50mg per 10ml or 5mg per ml. This is not set up as a drip. I am reviewing dosing conversions and dilution

Dr Brims :

Are you a pharmacist?

Customer:

RN at cath lab

Dr Brims :

Then I would dilute it with 1 liter of saline

Dr Brims :

Making 50mg per 1000ml

Customer:

the procedure is to draw up the correct dose from the vial, converted from micrograms to mg, and place it in a 10cc syringe and state the order of say... 200mcg in 10cc saline. I wanted to verify correct calculation procedure.

Dr Brims :

I'm not sure how you could draw up the correct amount without diluting it, I will opt out and see if a nurse or pharmacist can help

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you.

Either vial is 5000 mcg/mL:

50 mg/10mL= 5 mg/mL x 1000 mcg/mg = 5000 mcg/mL

5 mg/mL X 1000 mcg/mg = 5000 mcg/mL

For 400 mcg nitro you will need 5000mcg/mL x 400 mcg/ χmL and solve for χ which = 0.08 mL for IV through the sheath.

All the best,

Schuyler

Please go back and look again at the units. I had a typo and corrected it after you had read the original. It only involved the mg to mcg correction. The answer is still 0.08 mL.