Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My 5 year old swallowed a coin her brother shoved in

my 5 year old swallowed a coin her brother shoved in mouth....nobody is sure what size coin. she seems fine...can swallow fine ...should I take her to emergency room
DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name is***** and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

When exactly this happened?

DR HASAN :

I am an ENT specialist so i deal with these foreign bodies daily.

Customer:

about 10 minutes ago

DR HASAN :

Have you given her anything to drink or eat?

DR HASAN :

after that

Customer:

she is drinking water right now

DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input.

DR HASAN :

First of all i would like to reassure you that don't panic because if she can drink water this means that coin has gone down most likely.

DR HASAN :

You should go to ER because she needs an xray to monitor the movement of coin because ultimately it will pass with stool.

DR HASAN :

But hopefully there will be no need of any surgery to remove the coin.

DR HASAN :

Going to ER is just advised because it's a standard protocol to keep the coin under observation. There is a very very minute chance for the coin to get stuck in abdomen and that is why i have advised ER. However practically i have never seen a case where it gets stuck because it passes with stool.

DR HASAN :

Till you go, give her bananas to eat.

Customer:

do I have time to arrange babby sitters for other children or do I need to get her there asps

DR HASAN :

You have enough time, it's not at all urgent.

DR HASAN :

Just go whenever possible.

DR HASAN :

Give her bananas and observe her stool.

DR HASAN :

She might pass it before you go.

DR HASAN :

Any question?

Customer:

no bannanas in house have applesause will that do

DR HASAN :

Yes you can give that.

DR HASAN :

Lots of water to drink too.

DR HASAN :

Bread is ok too.

Customer:

realisticly she could really pass this within next hour

DR HASAN :

It might take two to three hours.

DR HASAN :

That is why i have advised to give her food and water because the bulk of stool will push the coin easily.

Customer:

so would this be a safe plan....give plenty water ,banana, appleasause for next hour and if she doesn't pass by morning take her to er or dr

DR HASAN :

Yes this will be safe but you have to look for the following symptoms in that case.

DR HASAN :

1. Abdominal pain

DR HASAN :

2. Constipation.

DR HASAN :

Throat pain

DR HASAN :

4. Difficulty in swallowing

DR HASAN :

If no symptoms appear this means that everything is going smooth.

DR HASAN :

and hopefully things will go smoothly.

Customer:

thank you so much

DR HASAN :

You are most welcome. I wish her all the best, ***** ***** if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Lesly I just wanted to get an update about your daughter. How is she feeling? Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you

Its actually my granddaughter and I live in VT and they live in FL . As of this morning , she still hadnt passed it. I haven't been able to get in touch with tonight , but hopefully no news is good news

Hi, thanks for your input. Yes hopefully things are going smooth if she has not developed any symptom. She might have passed it but it might not have been detected by parents. I am glad that she is ok and wish her to be fine later on too. Please feel free to contact me anyday anytime, regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just thought Id let you know my granddaughter called this morning and said "guess what I did this morning, I pooped out money"

It took a while but she finally passed it.Thanks for all you help

Lesly

You are most welcome. I am glad to hear this. I wish her all the best for her future. Please tell her parents to be very careful next time. Regards