Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My son has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and is now

My son has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and is now on Seroqel. Before he became ill he had been trying to lose weight and eating a lot of portion controlled diet dinners. He is now going to learn how to cook but I wonder if the chemicals in these frozen dinners are bad for him or if he would be okay to use them once or twice a week if he added a salad.

I appreciate your concern for your son.

The frozen dinners are quite safe.

There are no known dangers when taken by a bipolar person or with Seroquel.

Of course you are right that he should add fresh salads and fruits to maintain a good balanced nutrition.

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would agree with what you said. I did just wonder if it makes any differance that the manic episode with psychosis happened after four days without sleep, not much food, a lot of caffeine topped off with energy drinks. He now understands that this is a lethal combination and not at all healthy.

they are certainly related.

Among these, the lack of sleep is most important. Lack of sleep is closely associated with manic episodes. But it is to be determined whether it was the gradual subclinical onset of the manic episode that led to this behavior, or the behavior led to to the manic episode.

In any case, by ensuring adequate sleep and a healthy lifestyle, he should manage to cut off these episodes.

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.