Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

I havent had a pap smear in about 4-5 years. I am a 42 year

I haven't had a pap smear in about 4-5 years. I am a 42 year old woman. I had a pap smear on 5/22 that came back with Atypical Glandular Cells. I was also negative for HPV. I am scheduled for a Coloposcopy on 6/19. My doctor wanted me to go sooner but I am going out of town and scheduled it for the 19th. What could this result mean?
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

The requested expert is offline. I am DR. BORA and would help you.

Atypical glanduar cells
indicate that the PAP smear is abnormal but does not necessarily indicate the presence of pre cancerous cells.
Moreover, as you do not have HPV it is a good sign and reduces the risk for cervical cancer.
However, colposcopy would be the next investigative tool that will help you get a good idea if there is any prospect for cancer at all.But you may need follow up PAPsmear after 6 months or so which will be indicated by your doctor.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I also forgot to mention that I have been having bleeding between my periods for about a year now. Does this sound suspicious. I am so scared about the results. Should I be worried? Thank you.
Well, bleeding between your periods is known as intermenstrual bleeding. While cervical and uterine cancer is a rare cause for such bleeding, it can be hormonal, due to ovarian cysts, vaginal dryness, oral contraceptives,cervical or endometrial polyps (benign or non-cancerous growths in the womb or the lining of the cervix) etc.

Although your situation is a cause for concern, you need not panic as you are on the right track of investigation.

My best wishes are with you!

I hope my answer has helped you.

Thanks Dana.

For any new questions or follow up, please request me as DR. BORA, I would be glad to help you.

God bless.