Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Dr. German. Thanks for the answer of my first question.

Dr. German. Thanks for the...

Dr. German. Thanks for the answer of my first question. Yesterday, I had a complete Blood Count. Total Leucocytic Count ( The White Cells) was 8.7, while the reference is (3.5-10.5). I visited the doctor yesterday and told me that my immunity is good enough, although I am taking rejection medicine for my transplanted Kidney. My question. If my white cells count is good and within the normal range as the test shows, can I do the HIV antibody test within the normal window period like normal people. If you remember I did P24 at 21 days and PCR at 14 days and both were negative. I just want to make the antibody to confirm. My only problem was my rejection medicine that could delay the production of antibody. But with such good white cells count, Can I make the HIV antibody test within the standard window period like normal people? If yes, what the test should I do bearing in mind that I was exposed 37 days ago. Shall I make ELISA now and repeat it on 90 days?

6/8/2013
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, Tam.I am Dr. Phophalia and I had seen your previous questions here. Dr. German is offline. If you wish I can answer your question, otherwise I would opt out if you wish to wait for her.Thanks for using Just Answer.
pls do.
Pls do
Hello Tam,

Despite being on the immunosuppresants (anti rejection medications); the protocol for your testing would be same and you may get an ELISA test now and after 90 days. This will further substantiate that you are HIV negative. As previously discussed; otherwise too; the risk of transmission is quite low in your case.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun
Hello Tam,

Just wanted to add that your white cell count is good and as your doctor mentioned; your body immunity is normal.

Thus nothing to worry here. Please do not get anxious. Relax.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Thanks doctor. I will do the Elisa at 45 days and at 90 days and I will assume this is conclusive after my good white cell blood count. But separately from this how accurate is the PCR test I did on the 14th. I read very conflicting things about the PCR on the net.Some say it is very sensitive and great test, although it is not diagnostic. Some others say it worth noting. I know P24 antigen might not be great one to scan for HIV but what accurate is the PCR at 14 days?? Sample was taken in Beirut and It was done in France.
Elisa tests at the days you mentioned would be good. A PCR test is usually not recommended for the diagnostic screening though some doctors may advice it after 2-3 weeks of exposure. It is more commonly used in;1) screening of blood products, 2) therapeutic monitoring3) infection in infants.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
But if the PCR is good in detecting the HIV infection in case of infants, or blood donation and blood products to ensure no infected blood is accepted, can we say it is good enough in dedicating in case of adults? Based on my research, the FDA did not recommend it for two main reasons: a) its high cost, and b) its is high false positive rate. But false negative is low . Is this true.
Hello Tam,

The strength of PCR test is that it is able to detect the presence of viral genetic material instead of merely the host's response to the virus. Clinically, this can be employed;

1) monitoring HIV disease progression and
2) blood supply screening..

The primary strength of PCR is the shortening of the “window” period of seroconversion. This is the interval between contraction of the HIV virus to development of antibodies to HIV that are detectable using standard EIAs. You are right that it may give false positive but false negative is negligible. The false negative may occur due to human error in the collection and processing of the samples.The extensive replication of a sample can cause false-positive results. Currently, false–positive results are typically believed to result from contamination. In your case specifically; since the PCR test is negative; it is a good thing and can be taken as evidence that transmission has not occurred.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)