Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I have had genital herpes for 7 years. I am taking Valtrex

I have had genital herpes for 7 years. I am taking Valtrex once daily, sometimes twice when I'm very stressed and tired. Whenever I forget to take it or try to have a break from it, I have an outbreak straight away.
QUESTION: Will I ever be able to stop taking Valtrex? Is there anything more radical/potent than Valtrex?
Thank you

Sorry to say,unfortunately,there is no cure for genital herpes yet.

Scientists do not know what causes the virus to reactivate.

However recurrences are brought on by other illness, stress, exposure such as sunlight, menstruation, sometimes recurrences often are not predictable.

Only antiviral medications like Valtrex,Famciclovir help in reducing recurrent outbreaks.

As you have stress and anxiety issues so it can be a contributing factor.

You should also consult with your doctor for a clinical examination to make sure there isn't an underlying medical problem that has surfaced causing such a dramatic increase in your outbreaks.

Tiredness can be associated infection,anemia,low immune system.

You should start multivitamin supplement as well.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.