Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

My cervix is lower than normal, slightly rigid and

My cervix is lower than normal, slightly rigid and swollen/inflammed. I have the Mirena IUD and haven't had a period since August of last year. For the last 2 weeks I've experienced nausea, food cravings/adversions, cramping, extreme fatigue, moodiness and headaches. What are the chances that I'm pregnant?
Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you assistance until you are satisfied, although pregnancy is very rare in women who have a Mirena IUD ,it could happen .
On the other side Mirena has levonorgestrel which can produce several side effects like fatigue ,headaches ,breast pain or tenderness , stomach pain ,diarrhea and menstrual period changes or alterations.
Your symptoms could be caused by either of the two levonorgestrel or a pregnancy.
To determine if you are pregnant or not , a blood or urine pregnancy test will need to be performed .
If you continue using Mirena while you are pregnant, it could carry multiple risks from ectopic pregnancy ( a pregnancy outside the uterine cavity ) ,infections, sepsis ,miscarriages , vaginal bleeding ,premature births , birth defects and miscarriages . The reason why doctors recommend to remove the device immediately .
At this time , You should contact your gynecologist immediately to have a blood pregnancy test and remove the device if he considers it necessary .
If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !
Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have an appointment tomorrow but my mind is racing with all the possibilites.

What about possible embedding of the IUD? If it is embedded what are the risks of lose of fertility? (I have a 20 month old and would like to have at least one more child.)

Could rough sex cause the IUD to move/shift out of position?

My boyfriend and I had sex this morning and it was a little uncomfortable, almost painful, which I have read is a symptom of an ectopic pregnancy.

Try to relax , like I told you before , your symptoms are probably caused by the device itself and not a pregnancy .
Pregnancy using Mirena is extremely extremely rare .
In most cases , both removing the device or embedding results in miscarriages . The problem is that leaving the device while you are pregnant ,it is extremely risky for you and even for the baby who will be exposed to the hormonal effects of levonorgestrel during all pregnancy.
Under these circumstances,specially in your case being so young ,it is better to remove the device so you can get pregnant without the device , you will be fertile after having the procedure done , there is no need to be worried about that .
Rough sex does not move or shift the IUD .
In relation to the ectopic pregnancy ,yes ,it could produce abdominal or pelvic pain or tenderness ,but this is relative ,some women experience it while others not .
The reason why they will need to perform a pregnancy test and an ultrasound to be 100 % sure of what is happening .
But do not worry , You are probably not pregnant at all .
They could still need to remove the device not because you are pregnant but all these side effects you have been experiencing, specially if you also want to have a baby .