Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have a lump in my throat. I feel it when I swallow and it

I have a lump in my throat. I feel it when I swallow and it makes a very tiny clicking noise. I can not feel it when I touch my neck. Sometimes the lump feels like it moves from side to side and it is not always present. Sometimes I feel it very distinctly and sometimes I don't feel it at all, it just comes and goes. I have had this type of sensation since I was little, but it would only happen with certain medications so I believed it was a reaction to those medications...but now I don't have to take those meds to get that lump in throat sensation.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am Dr. Phophalia and would answer your question today.

Do you have heartburn, bad breath, prominent neck veins, difficulty in swallowing?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr. Phophalia,

I do not have any of those symptoms. I did forget to mention that sometimes it feels like when I burp, it relieves some of the "lump" feeling. It feels like it gets smaller.

Hello Paula,

A persistent feeling of lump in throat will need further evaluation. The causes can be;

1) Mucosal injury (internal lining of pharynx and esophagus) may be caused by potassium chloride tablets, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), or antibiotics (doxycycline, tetracycline, clindamycin, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole).

2) Pharyngeal diverticulum / Zenker's diverticulum

3) Peptic strictures due to reflux

4) Benign esophageal tumors

5) Achalasia

6) Esophageal Stricture or constriction

7) Globus; a psychological phenomenon of something causing difficulty in swallowing (there is a condition called as Globus sensation, which may be responsible for the symptom of problem in swallowing). Please read this resource;

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec02/ch007/ch007e.html

Globus is quite a common phenomenon and many times can be associated with anxiety.

Following investigations are necessary for the work up;

1) Fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing and upper gastrointestinal endoscopy

2) Esophageal manometry (pressure study of the food pipe).

3) CT scan

4) Barium swallow

This will give you the exact cause of your symptoms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have been diagnosed in the past with anxiety. How can anxiety cause a lump?

Hello Paula,

Anxiety causes sensation of the lump; though a physical lump may not be present. The feeling of lump is due to spasm of the muscles secondary to anxiety and this is called as Globus sensation. Anxiety is known to cause many symptoms in the absence of physical disorder. The lump feeling in throat can also be due to acid reflux which increases in people with anxiety and thus this feeling comes and goes (waxing waning of the symptom).

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun