Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have gas trouble, it happens with nearly everything I eat.

I have gas trouble, it happens with nearly everything I eat. I have not been tested for lactose intolerance but I am sure I have it, because I become extremely bloated after consuming milk or milk products.
But the worst part of all of this is that, the gas really smells and I am very embarrassed to release it around people. So I hold it back. The first few times I held it in, I felt extreme pain from the pressure in abdomen, to the point where it hurt to laugh. Now when this happens my breath starts to smell really bad too.
I am extremely careful when I eat, I have practically cut out milk from my diet, chew with my mouth closed.and chew as much as possible before I swallow.
My diet is also very consistent, yet the problem is still re-occuring.
Breakfast: bread, egg
Lunch: bread, some sort of meat
Dinner: bread, vegetable
Please, please, please tell me how I can figure out what is causing this. I understand that gas is normal but why does it always smell so bad.
Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name is***** and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

What have you tried for this so far?

Customer:

I took the equivalent of rolaids in naturopathic form

Customer:

this suppressed alot of the gas altogether

Dr Brims :

Have you tried an acid reducing drug?

Customer:

no, can i get them over the counter? Is it typical to have such a probelm for every meal I have?

Dr Brims :

I think you have excess acid causing these symptoms, and I think you would benefit from a drug like pepcid or omeprazole, they are available over the counter

Customer:

Excess acid is causing the bad smell? or causing excess gas?

Dr Brims :

Excess acid is causing excess gas and the bad smell

Customer:

Is there a way to be sure that this is not a problem caused in the large intestine?

Dr Brims :

Yes, but it would likely require tests like a CT scan or colonoscopy

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes

Dr Brims :

Do you understand my replies?

Customer:

Yes, I really hope it works, this has happen so discomforting, embarrassing, frustrating and depressing

Dr Brims :

I understand

Customer:

Thank you for your help, I will try this solution. Any dietary changes?

Dr Brims :

Do you drink milk or coffee?

Customer:

no coffee, but just regular milk once a week

Dr Brims :

Okay, try to reduce dairy products

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Again Thank you.

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have any questions in the future, you may request me by starting the question with "Dr Brims"

Customer:

Excellent, I was just going to ask how I could speak with you in the future. Thank you