How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. R. Bora Your Own Question
Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 5233
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. R. Bora is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi.My father is 82 and lives alone in England. Im his only

This answer was rated:


My father is 82 and lives alone in England. Im his only daughter and live in Norway. He been registered with the Mental health board for some time (I didnt know about this until recentley) but now he`s started with Dementia. He´s been coping quite will until about 3 weeks ago when he told me he was ill. He could`nt explain what was actually wrong with him but, my friends have kept me informed and I now know that, shes sleeping alot in the day, not eating and he`s lost weight. When I speak to him on the phone his voice does`nt sound the same, tired sounding actually. Because im living abroad its not that easy to get into contact with people so, do you think he should be in hospital where they can look after and assess him? Just some advice on what the next steps are because, when he told me he was`nt well I was thinking just having a bad day but, its been going on now for over 1 week and this is something more than just a "Bad" day.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Sorry to hear that about your father.

Dementia is the progressive deterioration in cognitive function - the ability to process thought (intelligence). One important part of this syndrome is that there is associated memory loss. This could be problematic for his daily life; particularly if he is living alone or without any care taker. Eventually, in the later stages, the person may not know what day of the week, month or year it is, he may not know where he is, and might not be able to identify the people around him. There may also be brain damage from stroke, which the affected person may not be aware of.

Since your father is quite elderly and he has not keep keeping well, this might well mean that he may be having other associated problems like stroke or motor neurone disease, the latter being commonly seen with dementia.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Dr. R. Bora and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

HI again. Thank you for your answer.

When im talking with my farther is voice is different than normal. Its very slow and low (if you know what I mean) its sounds like hes been sleeping when he`s talking to me even though he`s been up for some time.


Could that be a sign of a stroke?


I called for the doctors yesterday and they have been to see him. They`ve take a sample of his water and they will take blood tests today, he`s still at home but will be assest on his condition.


He told them he`s had no pain but, what would there be any symptoms of a stroke that he would know about or would it just happen and he only had the feelings of being unwell?


He`s lost a lot of weight and not eating much at all.


Hello Adrienne, thanks for getting back to me.

Some of the common symptoms are:

1. Trouble speaking or slurring of speech.
2. Trouble understanding due to reduced cognitive function.
3. Trouble walking.
4. Weakness or Numbness of the face or one side of the body.
5. Sometimes sudden headache.

So, you can put direct questions to your father if he has noticed any such symptom.

The feelings of being unwell that you have described may be due to metabolic abnormalities like abnormal levels of blood sodium, potassium, calcium , magnesium etc. However, a mild stroke known as TIA cannot be excluded at this point and I must insist that he needs medical attention immediately for his current clinical situation.

Thanks for the accept.

I hope my answer has helped you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



The doctors have been and he is still at home. I called them on Monday when I could`nt understand what the problem was, I knew he had problems remembering things but this is different. They have taken water samples and should be taking blood tests which yet have been done. I will see him over the weekend because im travelling to see him. Personally I think he needs hospital help. Thank you for your help. Rgds


Hi Adrienne,

I appreciate your decision to see him and hope the best for your father.

Let me know what his health status after he gets to the hospital.
Dr. R. Bora and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks again.

Keep me updated.

Good luck!
Dr. R. Bora and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you