How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Cameron Your Own Question
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 12910
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Cameron is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Since marriage I have been using condoms for some time now

This answer was rated:

Since marriage I have been using condoms for some time now (4 years), and have never had any adverse reactions. However some 3 weeks ago, when using a condom, I continued to have sex with my partner after ejaculating, but while keeping the condom on.

Within a few minutes I felt a burning sensation, presumably from the friction of the condom on the head of my penis.

After taking off the condom, I could identify small areas on the head of my penis which were sensitive to touch, and felt like a blister, and which were slightly pink in colour. I had never experienced this before.

Since then, the size of those pink/red lesions have grown in size and look just like friction burns on my penis. They are not painful. They are shiny and slightly raised from the unaffected areas of the head of the penis. They have only gotten worse in the last 3 weeks, and I've been reducing my sexual activity to see if they'll improve themselves; but they haven't. I just had intercourse again WITHOUT a condom, and the lesions look inflamed again. There's no pain, but slight sensitivity.

I have a few specific questions:
1. Is there a possibility I've developed a condom allergy?

2. If so, I'm happy to use other methods of birth control, but how do I get rid of these pink/red condom blisters on my penis? Time hasn't led to their improvement, and I'm starting to get a bit concerned that they will only increase in size if I don't address the issue soon.

3. What treatments/ointments/medications should I be taking to reduce the inflammation from the 3-4 separate lesions (around 3mm x 6mm in size) on my penis?

Note that this concerns my wife and I and neither of us were sexually active prior to marriage, and there is no possibility either of us have an STD or herpes. We have been married for 4 years and have been using condoms predominantly for birth control.

Best - and thanks in advance,

Concerned patient.
I was following your question.

1. Yes, it is possible to develop a condom allergy. You can develop an allergy to latex or another component of the condom, such as spermicidal jelly. You can develop allergies at any time of life.
2. You need to get these lesions swabbed and you need to be tested for STDs. The chances that you have it based on your history, but it would be negligent for me to tell you that it is okay not be swabbed.
3. It is not a good idea to take medication without knowing what these lesions are, but it would not be a bad idea to apply antibiotic ointment on the affected areas twice daily. Do not have intercourse until they are healed over completely. Wash with warm water and soap twice daily and keep clean and dry. If the STD screen is negative, you can apply hydrocortisone 1% ointment twice daily in addition to the antibiotic ointment. If these measures do not help, then you need to see a physician for diagnosis and treatment.
But it is possible that you are allergic to a soap that your partner is using as well, so make sure that you both wash with hypoallergenic soaps while this is healing.

Thank you for your question.

please leave positive feedback if this was helpful
Dr. Cameron and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your swift response.


I know for certain I do not have an STD; as there's no possible way this could have been contracted. I'll do a test nevertheless, but I'm currently living in Samoa for a one year contract (tropical island), and medical facilities are not advanced.


I should have mentioned I'm living in tropical conditions, with 90-100% humidity daily. If this alters your response, please let me know.





thanks for the additional information
Well, seeing that you are in Samoa, that makes my answer a little different.
it is possible that this might yeast infection
Try this order
1. std tests
2. apply antifungal cream to the area 2x a day for 3 weeks
3. if no help, then the antibiotic/hydrocortisone combination.

I hope you are having fun in Samoa.