How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 35467
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a blister on my lip for about 4 months now and it

This answer was rated:

I have had a blister on my lip for about 4 months now and it is not going away. I doesn't hurt, but looks unsightly and I'd like to get rid of it. The skin over the "blister" appears to be fairly thick, so I have not attempted to "pop it". I hope there is a easy solution, as I can't afford to go to a plastic surgeon anytime soon for this.

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, Keith.

I am Dr. Phophalia and would assist you for your question.

Is the blister slightly growing in size?
Do you have history of any significant past illness or family history?
Do you smoke or use tobacco in any form?

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

to answer our questions:

the blister is not growing, no significant past illness or family history, no smoking or tobacco use.

Hello Keith,

Silver nitrate can be applied which is called as chemical cautery to the blister. Silver nitrate in diluted form is available at some chemists in some of the areas. But ideally a blister which has stayed for 4 months and has a thick skin; should be examined by a doctor. The possibilities of the diagnosis are;

1) Mucocele
2) Ranula
3) Pyogenic granuloma
4) Lymphangioma.

All of these are non cancerous (benign) but do not have any home treatment and need either a surgical removal or laser treatment.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia and other Health Specialists are ready to help you