Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Why have my feet started to turn red after one alcoholic

drink, whether it is wine...
Why have my feet started to turn red after one alcoholic drink, whether it is wine or spirits. I am 42. I drink only twice a week. I am 42.
5/31/2013
Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Dr. R. Bora :

Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Dr. R. Bora :

Can we chat live on this?

Dr. R. Bora :

Have you noticed the redness after every drink?

Dr. R. Bora :

Is your feet painful?

Dr. R. Bora :

Hello?

Dr. R. Bora :

Is your feet painful?

Customer:

The left foot is redder than the right one. The top of the left foot skin feels tight.

Dr. R. Bora :

Do you have any history of gout or arthritis?

Customer:

It didn't seem to happen with beer.

Customer:

No history.

Dr. R. Bora :

Ok.

Dr. R. Bora :

Do you notice any coldness or increase warmth with the redness?

Customer:

It is increased warmth.

Dr. R. Bora :

Thanks.

Dr. R. Bora :

This might be due to increased peripheral circulation from Raynaud's phenomenon.

Dr. R. Bora :

Temporary vasodilatation of arteries.

Dr. R. Bora :

Do you see any redness/ flushing on your face?

Customer:

My nose tends to be slightly redder. I have constant congestion and brain fog. I have been trying elimination diets.

Customer:

I take the contraceptive Cerazette but no other medication. I had a mosquito bite on my right lower leg in November and it became a cellulitis infection.

Dr. R. Bora :

You need to check your blood sugar level.

Customer:

I wondered if it might be type II diabetes.

Dr. R. Bora :

Yes.High blood sugar could be responsible for cellulitis.

Dr. R. Bora :

And the redness also.

Dr. R. Bora :

Is there any leg / ankle sweling too?

Dr. R. Bora :

Is there any leg / ankle swelling too? Do you have type II diabetes?

Customer:

When I eat dairy the congestion increases. When I eat wheat I get a lot of wind. I am usually constipated and only go to the loo properly at the weekend. I did have some ankle swelling last week but I went to a party and had more alcohol than usual as it was my birthday. I do not normally get swelling. But I did smoke too (I am not smoking now) and my left ankle showed a bluish tinge and the veins hurt. So a nurse checked it and said the circulation was sluggish but not to worry.

Dr. R. Bora :

Yes, this is slowing of circulation due to "incomepetent vein valves".

Dr. R. Bora :

This needs to be evaluated by an MD as the condition is progressive.

Customer:

From March to May I had a healthy diet, no sugar and limited grains and no dairy. It was my birthday so I celebrated with high sugar cake, processed food, chinese over the space of a week, smoked, I had stopped for 4 months before that. Then I noticed all of this happening. Before I was taking diatomaceous earth food grade, coconut oil and apple cider vinegar.

Dr. R. Bora :

Alright. The diet part needs separate evaluation.

Dr. R. Bora :

but for the leg redness and swelling, please get a color doppler ultrasound of the legs to exclude peripheral venous disease.

Dr. R. Bora :

Seek an appointment with an MD internal Medicine right away.

Customer:

Thank you for your assistance. In the meantime I will continue with exercise and the natural remedies for circulation. Do you have any good suggestions please?

Customer:

I saw the nurse last week and see my doctor on Tuesday. Thank you for your assistance. I really appreciate it.

Dr. R. Bora :

Yes, avoid unnecessary standing which can increase the swelling and redness and of course reduce drinks.

Customer:

Thank you I am not drinking now.

Dr. R. Bora :

You are most welcome. Elevate your legs when they turn red or swell.

Dr. R. Bora :

Ok. Drink plenty of water though.

Customer:

I will. Can circulation be improved by doing all of the things like exercise and not smoking.

Customer:

My job is sitting down all day but I have started skipping to boost circulation.

Dr. R. Bora :

Take regular yogurt / curd to improve digestion and reduce wind.

Dr. R. Bora :

It is rich in good bacteria.

Dr. R. Bora :

Try getting up on and off to improve your leg circulation.

Dr. R. Bora :

Walk around your office, take breaks.

Dr. R. Bora :

I hope my answer has helped you.

Customer:

Very much so. One final question. Can circulation be improved somewhat with due care and attention.

Dr. R. Bora :

You have to stop smoking completely as it compromises blood circulation in your legs and everywhere else.

Customer:

I have stopped completely.

Dr. R. Bora :

Good. And yes, circulation can be improved with exercise and a good diet.

Dr. R. Bora :

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer:

What about coconut oil as I read that was good but I read the saturates are not good for poor circulation. And also diatomateceous earth, should I stop taking that.

Customer:

Did the diatomaceous earth start this off? I am sorry I am going soon.

Dr. R. Bora :

Coconut oil is rich in both saturate and unsaturated oil. Use it only for frying food.

Dr. R. Bora :

diatomaceous earth is good for health and you can continue with that.

Customer:

Thank you I will stop the coconut oil and continue with the de. Thank you so much I have been very worried. that is a great help. take care. bye. jane

Dr. R. Bora :

No, diatomaceous earth did not start off your problems.

Customer:

no too much partying :-)

Dr. R. Bora :

Thanks.

Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Thanks Jane.
If you have any new questions, please request me as DR. BORA.
Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor