911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I have genital herpes, never been officially diagnosed and

I have genital herpes, never been officially diagnosed and am embarrassed to talk to my family doctor, should I be on prescribed meds or are there any over the counter meds that would help when I have an outbreak?
911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

Unfortunately there are no OTC meds that are efficacious against genital herpes.

911Doctor :

Having some Acyclovir/Valacyclovir/ or Famcyclovir around in case of an outbreak would be a very good idea.

911Doctor :

It's also important to let your doctor know because while this is a disease that is easily managed for YOU if you become pregnant then it is very important for your doctor to know as there can be complications with pregnancy due to the infection .

911Doctor :

are you there?

Customer: I doubt at the age of 72 I would become pregnant, could I pass this on to a male partner?
911Doctor :

yes

911Doctor :

you could

911Doctor :

sorry, your age was off the screen...

911Doctor :

the time for infection is GENERALLY when there are open sores...'