Help4Health
Help4Health, Registered Nurse
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

Hello. My partner is a 60 y/o male paraplegic and has been

Hello. My partner is a 60 y/o male paraplegic and has been having lots of indigestion, burping(dyspepsia) ,alternating constipation and loose stools. Instead of being firm his stool is very mushy frequently and it takes him forever to clean himself. His abdomen is very big. Could he have IBS? Please advise

Hello Lynk,

My name isXXXXX a registered nurse. I am honestly sorry for your partner's circumstances, very much appreciate your patronage, and am glad to try and help out.

Yes, the clinical picture you've described certainly could be attributable to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). However, "could" is the very best that can be said, and frankly I'm concerned about some other possibilities. Given his age (but not exclusively limited to such population), a pattern of intermittent bowel changes raises a red flag for colon cancer. Your mention of burning and so forth raises the specter of Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), Peptic or Duodenal Ulcer, and so on. Barring some unusual circumstances, his first screening Colonoscopy should have been performed at age 50, so he's a decade behind in that respect. Please, encourage him to undergo a proper Gastroenterology assessment. That is truly the only prudent approach here.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, R.N.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Ben....He takes nexium every day. I can't get him to a gastro doc...he refuses so I get to clean up the poop. I'm afraid that he will become incontinent soon since he'ss been a para since age 19. Thanks for your inciteful answer.

Hello Lynk,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Thanks!

Ben, R.N.