Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My husband fractured his tibial plateau. The surface is all

My husband fractured his tibial plateau. The surface is all dented in and they are going to operate and make the surface flat again as well as put in a plate and about 8 screws. How long does someone usually stay in the hospital after a surgery like that?
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

From the description of his surgery I would guess that he may be in hospital for a relatively short amount of time. He may be hospitalized for only one or two nights and then sent home to recover...

Anthony Bray MD :

Discuss this and the plans for his recovery with his orthopedic surgeon...

Anthony Bray MD :

Due to the relative lack of mobility immediately following such surgery the reduction of risk of blood clots would be a consideration...

Customer:

Thank you! I had forgotten to ask the surgeon and he was unavailable today

Anthony Bray MD :

I see >> when is he having this surgery??

Customer:

Tuesday

Anthony Bray MD :

Oh OK >> well I think that it would be best for you and your husband to clarify on several points >> length of his hospital stay >> ?? need for blood thinner for a period of time... >> physical therapy as he recovers as part of the plan ??

Anthony Bray MD :

Hopefully you will be able to reach the surgeon prior to his procedure on these issues...

Customer:

The surgeon is also going to use bone graft from a cadaver to fill the hole he is going to make in his bone, he said there is also a synthetic option to fill the hole but he would recommend the bone graft. I have heard bad things about infection from cadaver parts, is using the synthetic option less risky?

Anthony Bray MD :

Well I'm not sure honestly how the infection risk compares... you see if a foreign materail is present then it goes in sterile of course but the presence of foreign material is bad if infection is nearby.. so a wound infection may still be a risk with this too.. if bacteria get a niche on that surface then it is hard for the body"s immune system to reach...