Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I suffer severe chronic pin that has been 11 months now from

a shoulder injury. as I...
I suffer severe chronic pin that has been 11 months now from a shoulder injury. as I am on warfarin by surgeon does not want to operate. Two weeks ago I was started on 1000 mg epilim (500 morn and night) lyrica and diazepam (20mg of night for sleep) I was also just started on Cymbalta as the chronic pain has olead to depression. My question is this, I have been quite breathless and was just discharged from hospital with suspected pneumonia, however , I gained 10 kg in two weeks and was very swollen. they gave Lasix which helped. My walking though is a huge issue as I keep losing balance and have to now use a walker. My dr said im just weal from pneumonia still but I am worred is drug related?
5/30/2013
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name is***** and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about these developments

Dr Brims :

Do you feel dizzy at rest or while sitting or standing?

Customer:

no I have no dizziness just very bad balance, I tend to try to walk near walls and generally crash into them, I am also breathless and the dr says have pneumonia, been coughing up blood but I think is more bronchial

Customer:

the balance only started after taking the eplilim lyrica diazepam and cymablalt, they were all started within two daysa of each other

Dr Brims :

Okay, the pneumonia could have mad you weak and this may be causing you to lose balance

Dr Brims :

But epilim may also cause dizziness as well

Customer:

that's what the doc says but Im not so sure, I have spent long periods of time in hospital woth kidney problems ckd, and previous pneumonia and this has never happen3ed, they are sending me home on a wlaker and I am devesteated

Dr Brims :

I think you should ask to start physical therapy, and if after a month, you still have dizziness, then you may ask your doctor to stop epilim

Customer:

its more like I cant balance, my head does not fell dizzy or spimming, I just cannot walk in a stragith line, eyes double and blurry

Dr Brims :

Okay

Customer:

sorry about the typos my vision is double too since all this happened

Dr Brims :

No problem

Customer:

if its the pneumonia how long till I can get well enough to walk properly, I live on my own and this is really upsetting me

Dr Brims :

You should be able to walk properly within a month

Customer:

Ive never been knocked so bad and have had serious illness before, I don't understand it, I did fracture my back three years ago and spent months in rehab, I felt I had regained my sgrength but perhaps this is a additional factor?

Customer:

god if I thought I was depressed from chronic pain this has really been a big blow

Dr Brims :

This may be an additional factor, try regaining your strength for a month, and if you still have any symptoms the ask your doctor to stop epilim

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear that, if there are any other questions I can help you answer on this topic please let me know

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

It seems you rated my service as poor, is there a part of your question I did not answer?

Customer:

I am wanitng to know if this poor balance is an effect of lyrica, and intractions between eplilim, diazepam and Cymbalta? I am just not ocnvicned I col get so weak that I can wlak from pneumonia, there must be another reaons

Dr Brims :

Are you seeing my replies? I said that it may be due to epilim, I mentioned that above

Customer:

having ckd I have had a lot of infetions, including pneumonia many times, why now does it do this and not before?

Customer:

I started off onm 500 morning and night, is that normal, or maybe is that too high and that's why? god I need pain relief!

Customer:

ie 1000mg day plus 20mg cymblata, not sure of other doses

Customer:

sorry that was meant to be 20mg valium, not Cymbalta, I think Cymbalta is 60???

Dr Brims :

That is a normal dose, but a common side effect of epilim is dizziness, therefore you should ask your doctor about stopping it or decreasing the dose

Customer:

ok thanks, ***** ***** not dizzy. just uncoordinated and cant balance

Dr Brims :

Epilim can cause a loss of coordination and problems balancing as well, these are known side effects of epilim

Customer:

ok thank you, ***** ***** to stop it as I think it is helping the pain, so may ask about reducing

Dr Brims :

Okay, you can ask about decreasing the dose

Dr Brims :

That may help your symptoms

Dr Brims :

Are you still there?

Customer:

yes I am thankyou that has helped

Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician