Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I've been having problems with my stomach. I either throw up

I've been having problems with my stomach. I either throw up or gag in the morning mostly and sometimes there is a sour taste. It's been having for quite awhile. What would be doing this? The rest of the time I don't throw up or gag
Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello would you lke to chat on this?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was trying to chat live with you on this.

This is likely to be Acid Peptic Disorder or Acid Reflux. This typically causes gagging and vomiting in the morning and an acidic taste in the mouth, as the acid of the stomach rises to the mouth during sleep.

See your doctor for this. Discuss about acid reflux. Your doctor can prescribe medicines for this. Also ask about tests like Upper GI ENdoscopy if needed.

Till you see the doctor, there are several OTC medicines which are generally safe which you can use for this. I would suggest Alka Seltzer two-three teaspoonfuls thrice daily. You should also take Cap. Prilosec 20 mg(OTC) once daily early in the morning.

Some other natural steps that you should take for control of these symptoms are:

*Cut down on alcohol and smoking

*have small frequent meals

*cut down on fried foods

*take sips of cold water from time to time

*Sleep in a propped up position instead of flat on the bed to prevent acid reflux.

*As soon as you wake up in the morning and before getting up from bed, nibble at 2-3 dry crackers. These will absorb whatever acid and gas has collected in your stomach overnight. Lie quietly in bed for another 30 minutes.

These steps will help. But do see your doctor for this at the earliest.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.