911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I was in the emergency room Saturday and was diagnosed with

I was in the emergency room Saturday and was diagnosed with diverticulitis. I was given the choice of staying in the hospital and getting antibiotics interveiniously (?) or going home and taking the antibiotics. I chose to go home.
I was given prescriptions for 500mg Cipro and 500mg Flagyl. While my stomach pain has subsided quite a bit, though I still have pain several times a day, I feel dizzy and light headed and I have had diarrhea yesterday and today.
The instructions from the hospital say to get prompt medical attention if you have dizziness or light headedness. However, these are the same side effects of Cipro and Flagyl. Do I go back to the hospital or do I just put up with it until my doctor appointment next Tuesday?
Thank you for your help.
911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

great question.

911Doctor :

if you are able to keep fluids down, and the light-headedness lasts a few seconds, and you are without fever or vomiting, i think it is safe to wait.

911Doctor :

as long as the trend is one of improvement, i think this is fine.

911Doctor :

worsening, focal abdominal pain, especially with fever, means you should go back

911Doctor :

because the complicationw we want to avoid is perforation... meaning the colon ruptures, and this is a surgical emergency.

911Doctor :

it is routing to treat diverticulitis as an outpatient

911Doctor :

as long as the patient is otherwise healthy and has no evidence of perforation\

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

I am able to keep fluids down. I don't have a fever, but I feel light headed all day long. I am eating so I know my light headedness is not from lack of food.

911Doctor :

then it IS likely a medication side effect along with the diverticulitis.... do you have any pain when you press in the left lower abdomen?

Customer:

A little but not as bad as on Saturday.

911Doctor :

that's good. my original answer stands. is it possible to check in by phone with your follow up physician? this might be the best option for you.

Customer:

Great. Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate this service as I am about in tears because i just do not feel good.

911Doctor :

you may feel free to take some Tylenol as this will help a bit... keep the fluid going in and keep up with your medicines... you should get better each day, but any quick tick downward should prompt a visit back to the ER.

911Doctor :

does this make sense?

Customer:

Yes. Thank you very much.

911Doctor :

you are most welcome...

911Doctor :

stand by for one extra bit...

Customer:

ok

911Doctor :

Take a good look at that link... I think you will be very reassured and know what is going on a bit better than you do now.

911Doctor :

do you have any final questions for me?

Customer:

Thank you. No that was it. I will go look at that site.

911Doctor :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Be Well

911Doc