Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I am a 50 year old male. I am an insulin using Diabetic Type

I am a 50 year...
I am a 50 year old male. I am an insulin using Diabetic Type 2 for 6 years. I am 6 feet tall and weigh 205 lbs. I work out daily. I take blood pressure, statins, lithium, metformin, glipizide meds. My whole life my poops have been perfect! 7 months and I have not pooped hard at all. My poops are huge explosions making the inside of the commode all brown. Sometimes it looks like there is grease on the surface of the water. I eat fairly healthy. My a1c's are 6.2-6.5.
5/26/2013
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

When did this start?

Customer:

Approximately 6-7 months ago.

Dr Brims :

Are all your bowel movements like that?

Customer:

Let me add that I love grapefruit. I will eat 2 a day. I was eating the grapefruit with my statins for about 4 months.

Dr Brims :

Ok

Customer:

After learning from the TV... DO NOT eat grapefruit with statins.

Dr Brims :

Is every bowel movement like this?

Customer:

All of my BM's are explosions! I have not pooped hard since Nov.

Dr Brims :

Do you have abdominal pain or blood in your stool?

Customer:

None!

Customer:

I did have a colonoscy 9 years ago. Clean!

Customer:

colonoscopy

Dr Brims :

Okay, have you tried stopping grapefruit?

Customer:

Stopped in early January.

Dr Brims :

And the bowel movements are still explosive?

Customer:

YES!

Dr Brims :

What does your diet usually consist of?

Customer:

Bran cereal, oatmeal, 1 egg omlettes, Grilled ribeyes, brocalli, green salads with cucumbers, peppers, carrots, celery with peanut butter. No fried foods, some fish and chicken. Fairly healthy!

Customer:

water, Gatorade, small amounts of OJ and yes....milk!

Dr Brims :

Okay, you may have to reduce some of your vegetables that you eat, it may be contributing to your symptoms, do you drink milk?

Customer:

I do drink milk and I also have it with my cereals...never more then 6-8 ounces!

Dr Brims :

You may want to try lactose free milk as well, that may be the cause of your symptoms

Customer:

OK

Dr Brims :

Lactose intolerance develops with age, and you may have it

Customer:

F**K!

Customer:

Soy, almond milk ok?

Dr Brims :

You need to look at the carton or jug to make sure it doesn't contain lactose, but usually they do not

Customer:

I am good at reading labels due to my diabetes.

Dr Brims :

Okay, that is cool

Dr Brims :

I mean that is good

Customer:

Yes, I understand you doctor.

Dr Brims :

Okay, is there anything else I can help you answer on this question?

Customer:

That is it Dr. Brims. I will follow this up at the VA hospital. My next apt is not until August. That is why we are talking. I even thought about going to the ER for a visit.

Dr Brims :

I don't think the ER is necessary at this time. Hopefully, trying lactose free milk will solve the problem

Customer:

I will try it!

Dr Brims :

Good

Customer:

Thank you Dr. Brims!

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

I am happy to help

Customer:

Thank you for your valuable time Doc...Cya later!

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have no other questions on this topic, please remember to click a rating button prior to exiting the chat session

Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician