Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

My OCD involves staring rituals and also compulsive touching

My OCD involves staring rituals and also compulsive touching of objects. My worry earlier this evening was if holding the steering wheel then letting it go after the car is in park affects anything in the body in a bad way. My heart tends to beat fast during these episodes. I stopped myself from clutching the steering wheel and moved out of the car. Is it best to just stop these repetitive touching and staring actions immediately so they do not become a ritual?
Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Yes, it is best to stop these actions

Customer:

My fear is like for instance holding the steering wheel repeatedly if I stop and pull away it will affect my heart but is that false and is the heart function separate from the physical action of holding the wheel?

Dr Brims :

It cannot affect your heart

Customer:

By stopping the holding of it?

Dr Brims :

The function is separate

Dr Brims :

No, it will never affect your heart

Customer:

So it was best I pulled away and stopped holding the steering wheel?

Dr Brims :

Yes, it was best to do that, but it cannot affect your heart

Customer:

My heart is beating fast from anxiety during these episodes but it is still better to stop the actions

Dr Brims :

yes, it is better to stop

Customer:

the compulsive staring at inanimate objects like a water cooler or piece of tape on the window is very hard to break free from staring is there someway to ignore them so as not to keep staring obsessively at them or other objects?

Dr Brims :

You should focus on something else

Customer:

and not look back at the item I was staring at?

Dr Brims :

Yes, that is correct

Customer:

this has no effect on the heart function either?

Dr Brims :

No effect on the heart

Customer:

should I focus on something in the opposite direction of what I am staring at?

Dr Brims :

Yes, that would help

Customer:

as far as the steering wheel goes is it best just to touch it once and let it go and not keep touching it?

Dr Brims :

yes, that is correct

Customer:

and just keep telling myself the heart is not effected by any of these actions both physcial and visual?

Dr Brims :

Yes, that is correct

Customer:

anything else that you would suggest I do to stop these behaviors?

Dr Brims :

No, there is nothing else I recommend

Customer:

just plain stopping them right and not repeating?

Dr Brims :

Yes, that is enough

Customer:

thank you Dr Brims

Customer:

so my heart is safe?

Dr Brims :

Your heart is safe

Dr Brims :

You're welcome

Customer:

Have a good evening

Dr Brims :

Same to you

Customer:

thank you

Dr Brims :

You're welcome

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just to follow up today I over exerted myself carrying heavy bags of garbage to the dumpster then going back upstairs. When I sat on the couch my heart was beating fast then as I paid attention to it I could not feel it beating as fast. Listening to the heart cannot influence how it beats because we cannot control our hearts? Am I safe from this?

you are safe with this, listening to it cannot control it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Dr Brims so even if the heart did not sound to beat as hard that is just normal functioning of the heart and nothing to worry? It seemed when I started to listen to it beating harder I got worried and paniced a little so there is no way to change the beating?

No, there is no way to change the beating
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Dr Brims so my heart was acting naturally by not beating as hard once I sat down for a few minutes?

Yes, it was acting naturally

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Dr Brims so I should not worry about heart beating like that? Does it regulate back to normal after exertion like I experienced?

it regulates back to normal after exertion, you do not need to worry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for all your help Dr Brims I am really having a hard time dealing with the anxiety the last few days. If I break away staring at a water cooler for example in my work station then walk away that is totally safe and has no effect on the heart since vision and heart functions are separate?

There is no effect on the heart, you don't need to worry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr Brims I have been having very bad anxiety last few days. Is the heart safe if you walk out of a room after looking at either a clock or the brand name on the tv by hyperfocusing on them? My heart feels like it races when that happens that does not mean I am having heart trouble and is vision still separate from heart functions in these cases as well?

Can you please open a separate question for this?