A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

How would you consider my metabolism? I was wondering if it

How would you consider my metabolism?
I was wondering if it is slow, average, or fast.
I am 22 years old, 210 lbs. 6 ft 1 in

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is ***** ***** I will help you.

It is difficult to determine basal metabolic rate (i.e. "metabolism") without the proper (and expensive) instruments. A gym may be able to determine if for you if they have the correct equipment. It depends on things like temperature, oxygen intake, carbon dioxide output, and a number of other factors.

A rough calculation can be found here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Basal metabolic rate is used to determine how many calories per day it takes to maintain your current weight based on your current exercise level and how much you would need to reduce those calories to lose weight. Right now it says you are consuming about 2151.8 calories per day. To lose weight you would reduc that to about 1700-1800 calories per day or increase the amount of exercise you get to burn those extra calories.

Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is currently 27.7 which is overweight. Anything between 25.0 and 29.9 is overweight. At 30.0 (228 pounds at your height) you would be obese. The range of overweight for your height goes up to 189 pounds so you are only about 20 pounds overweight.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So for my age/height/weight, do i have an above average metabolism?

I understand it will only be an educated guess.

There is no such thing as an "average metabolism." Two men 22 years old, your height and 210 pounds may have completely different metabolic rates. It takes into account so many more things than just height, weight, age, and gender. It also requires measure of amount of fat versus muscle, and other factors that requre specialized equipment. That is why you would need to have your individual basal metabolic rate measured in a gym or other fitness facility.

Being overweight may mean that you have a slow metabolism, or it may mean that you eat and drink too many calories. When someone eats more calories than the body needs for its processes (breathing, heart beat, digestion, etc.) and exercise, the extra calories are stored as fat and someone becomes overweight. There is absolutely no way to tell what your individual metabolic rate is without having it measured. We do know that exercise increases the metabolic rate for up to 24 hours afterwards, so that is the best thing to increase metabolic rate.

Metabolic rate changes all through the day for everyone. It is lowest when sleeping and highest when doing aerobic exercise.

Why are you concerned about metabolic rate?

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am concerned because I need to pass a Urine Drug Screen.

So exercise will increase the metabolic rate which should spped up the process of removing oxycodone?

And are there any other ways?

No, it won't. Oxycodone will be detectable for up to a maximum of 3 days after you take it. There is really nothing you can do to significantly change that fact.

Sorry to be the bearer of unpleasant tidings,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That is actually good news,

But your sure it is a max of 3 days?

Yes, three days max even at the very lowest cutoff levels at the lab. If it was a one-time use (as opposed to daily heavy use), you have absolutely nothing to be concerned about. Occasionally drug addicts will be detectable longer than 3 days because they just have so much metabolite in their systems, but the occasional tablet definitely won't show up after 3 days.

All the best,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay thank you so much for your help!