Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

I suddenly developed a sore throat coupled with slight

I suddenly developed a sore throat coupled with slight aching. What are my diagnostic options?

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

The diagnostic and treatment options depend upon various factors such as duration of illness, and associated symptoms.

In over 90% of the cases, sore throat is due to viral infections which classically give generalized body aches and pains. This may or may not be associated with fever or rash. These viral infections are self limiting and do not require any specific test or drugs except symptomatic treatment (for control of pain, inflammation and fever).

If the symptoms persist for more than a week, or if it becomes associated with high grade fever, difficulty in swallowing or any other serious symptoms, then this should be evaluated at earliest in terms of comprehensive clinical examination aided by tests like blood (CBC) and throat swab for culture.

This will help identify any bacterial infection that might be responsible for the illness and will also direct the use of specific antibiotics which will work best against the bug. Also its important to note that in case of bacterial infections its mandatory to eradicate them effectively with the help of antibiotics to prevent one of the serious complication called Rheumatic Fever, which can affect your heart long term.

At this point following measures will be helpful for you;

Plenty of water/liquid intake (to maintain hydration).

Warm liquids (tea, coffee) will provide a soothing effect.

Honey water (reduces inflammation).

Motrin or Aleve (for control of pain as well as inflammation).

Right now, if you do not have any such serious symptoms (which i mentioned above), you can just hold on for another few days and see how you respond to these measures.

If sufficient duration has already passed with the illness or if the symptoms are severe, see your doctor discussing the details i have mentioned to get a management plan chalked out that suits best to your needs.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this does not sound serious at all. It is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.