Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

My brother is 41 years old, HIV+, and in literally the fight

My brother Christopher is 41 years old, HIV+, and in literally the fight of his life. He took an overdose of Seroquel after which he experienced seizures and was in a coma. Subsequently put back on ventilation machine after getting pneumonia in both lungs. Being treated with vancomysin, Zosyn, and something else. Pneumonia staying the same, not getting better or worse. I already spoke to someone on here about his chances, but need clarification. His CD4 count was terrible, at or around 48. His T-cell count wasn't much better. Does it matter whether the pneumonia is an opportunistic infection or "just" a hospital pneumonia from the breathing tube?
Hi--wasn't there a culture done to see what organism is causing the infection?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes there was but they are still waiting on the results which should be back within 48-72 hours.

OK. Unless this is a fungal infection it really doesn't matter whether it's opportunistic or hospital acquired and the real problem is the low white cell counts since without his body's normal immunity powers it may be difficult for any antibiotics to eradicate the pneumonia. It sounds as though he's being treated for a MRSA infection for now, which is usually hospital acquired
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can the low white cell count be a result of the pneumonia, or is it just most likely a result of the HIV? We were sure he was taking his medicines for it and he said he was getting his blood checked once a month.

"...the real problem is the low white cell counts since without his body's normal immunity powers it may be difficult for any antibiotics to eradicate the pneumonia."

Can they do anything to raise the white cell counts?

Does this mean the pneumonia will be fatal?

Thanks

No, an infection itself doesn't lower the counts like that. He may not have told you how low his counts were. Unfortunately, no, there isn't any way to increase his white counts and I'm afraid the pneumonia may well be fatal