Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

My husband is 70, his ear is bleeding (steady trickle) from

My husband is 70, his ear is bleeding (steady trickle) from a picked scab (he's on blood pressure medicine) and won't stop; there's a small hematoma feeding it; I've tried ice (seems to help a little) and white/distilled vinegar and a tea bag but it's not enough; it's been over half an hour

What is the exact location of bleeding(bleeding from scab located on pinna,external ear or blood coming from inside of ear?

Associated sore throat?

Stuffy nose,clogged ear?

Pain in ear?

Has he used Q-tip?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
outside, close to but not quite on fleshy lobe, no other symptoms or problems

Thanks for providing more information.

Well as you describe,this bleeding that started during cleaning of the ear or picked out scab resulted from injury to the external ear canal.

And it may be possible that there may be some hair boil under the scab which has started bleeding.

And now any bleeding which is persistent more than 20 minutes may require any urgent medical attention.

Even it may be possible some blood has gone inside the ear which needs to be cleaned out.

So if possible visit ER for prompt management rather than try any self care measures as it can aggravate his symptoms and cause complications like eardrum perforation,infection.

Also his blood pressure should be monitored.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** stopped; 2 ice cubes :-) It was on the helix, very tiny, I'm monitoring it.

If bleeding has stopped then you can clean it with antiseptic betadine solution using a ear bud.

And then apply OTC Neosporin ointment on it to prevent infection.

Take OTC Motrin 200 mg every 6 hourly if there is pain and swelling.

And if his symptoms'll persist more than 3 days then consult a doctor for further evaluation and management.

In case he develops recurrent bleeding then a consultation of ENT specialist should be considered.

For profuse bleeding,visit ER.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Thank you.