Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

The pleasures of aging! Now it is my turn. Sunday I woke up

The pleasures of aging! Now it is my turn. Sunday I woke up with a pain deep in the muscle below the calf leaving me with mobility problems. It went away Monday. This morning at about 3:30 the pain was so bad I could not touch the area. Even a bit of pressure on any part of my left leg aggravated the pain. Although MUCH less than the early morning, the pain now is felt deep within the muscle below the calf and it is sore to the touch on the muscle on the left of the femur.

Do you have lower back pain?

History of Arthritis,etc?

Are you overweight?

Associated numbness,tingling sensation in leg?

Which leg,calf are involved?

Swelling,redness,bluish discoloration on calf?

Is area warm to touch?

Any other medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you have lower back pain?
No. Sciatic is fine.
History of Arthritis, etc?
A little arthritis in ring finger last knuckle of both hands. Nothing more.
Are you overweight?
No. 185lbs, 6'2"
Associated numbness, tingling sensation in leg?
No. Only pain.
Which leg, calf are involved?
Left only.
Swelling, redness, bluish discoloration on calf?
Very slight swelling on left side. No discoloration of any kind.
Is area warm to touch?
It appears to be the same temperature as the right leg.
Any other medical history?
Hypoglycemia (not hyper).
Are you taking any medications?
None.

Thanks for providing more information.

As you describe,possible causes may include Lumbar radiculopathy,Muscle strain,Charley horse,Tendonitis.

So you should try some self care measures which may include

Try OTC Motrin 200 mg every 4-6 hourly.

Do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment.

Take proper rest and avoid any strenuous physical activities for a while.

Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

Start a multivitamin supplement containing B complex,magnesium.

When you have a cramp, you should massage the calf and flex it towards the knee or try to walk on the affected leg.
Do stretching exercises.

Physical therapy can be helpful for pain management.
Use a pillow to prop the feet up in bed while sleeping on your back.

If your symptoms'll not improve for next 2 days or get worse over the time then consult an Orthopedist for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't think you have hit it yet. I know what Lumbar radiculopathy is and suffered with once or twice in the past. There is no pain at all in the lumbar region.
I know what a charley horse is. This is not the same.
I have tendonitis in my left elbow. Not the same kind of pain.
Unfortunately my endocrine system can't tolerate strong pain relievers. Tylenol is about as strong as I can take without severe dizziness and losing my lunch. But that only masks a symptom. I want to know what the cause is.
WMT

Thanks for the follow-up.

I understand your concern.

Firstly i want to explain you everything in detail

Lumbar radiculopathy (the compression of lumbar nerves L4 or L5 or sacral nerves)results in radiating pain in thigh,calf,foot.

It's not necessary to have pain in lumbar region as it can cause pain where the nerve is irritated in it's path and supplying the particular area.

Also it can cause pain at certain positions like lying position,changing position from sitting to standing,etc.

Other possible cause-Muscle strain,Charley horse(you feel like tightness in muscle and pain is severe to unbearable) due to over muscular exertion and as you have slight swelling so it should be ruled out.

Other possible causes may include electrolytes like potassium / magnesium imbalance, vitamin deficiencies,diabetes, poor circulation.

It's advised to try to do some gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment and take Tylenol in the meantime.

If pain is severe then consult a doctor or visit ER ASAP.

Otherwise make an appointment with your doctor for a clinical examination for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Thank you.