Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Why does my head constantly itch and shed large flaky

Customer Question
dandruff pieces. I feel when...
Why does my head constantly itch and shed large flaky dandruff pieces. I feel when I cut my hair short it makes it less itchy. But with long hair the length intensifies the itching and shedding. I am constantly scratching, sometimes until it bleeds. Are there any special remedies for this? I have tried tons of products and seen doctors before. I have also noted a change in the integrity of my skin. It is sort of leather like.
I think its a skin fungus. Im not sure. I have tried tea tree oil, and sulfur products.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/18/2013
Health Professional: Daegan12, Nurse replied 4 years ago
Daegan12
Daegan12, Nurse
Hello. I am very sorry you are having this problem. It truly sounds like dry skin to me. There are special shampoos that are out there that may help. Some are over the counter and some are prescriptions. Selsin Blue is a good brand that works well and helps with the itching as well as treats the dry scalp. Hydrocortisone cream I see you have tried. The problem with that is that it is only would provide temporary relief. The shampoo will actually treat the dry scalp and relief the itching. This should prevent further problems. It may take 2 or 3 uses before you see a difference but it really should help. I wish you the best and hope you are feeling better soon.
Daegan12
Daegan12
Daegan12, Nurse