Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Hello, 7 days ago, I stood up from my bed and instantly had

Hello, 7 days ago, I stood up from my bed and instantly had a sharp chest pain barely to the left of my sternum. It only lasted for a second or two. Afterwards, it felt like muscle pain that needed worked out. It happened around 11:30 pm or so. I was very worried that I was near a heart attack or something similar so I was afraid to sleep. I stayed up until 5:30 am knowing that I had to get up for work at 7 am. I managed to get some sleep but at work and around 9:30 am I went to stand up from my chair using only my arms. The same sharp pain happened again, then followed with the muscle pain. I normally have an un diagnosed arrhythmia by the way. That was the last time since then that I have had such intense chest pain. However, I have been having a few heart skipping/arrhythmia episodes since then. Also, I'm not sure if i'm paranoid or what, but it seems that I occasionally get miniscule chest pains that I can just barely feel. I am 24 as of a month ago, male, and overweight. Is there a simple answer to this? I have no medical insurance and cannot exactly afford to pay the ER hundreds to thousands of dollars for a false alarm. Please help.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : First of all a major factor in your favor is your age...
Anthony Bray MD : At your age it is extremely unlikely to have coronary artery disease which is the main basic concern with chest pain in general....
Anthony Bray MD : The SHARP and brief fleeting qualities of the pain that you felt is not typical for ANGINA( = chest pain due to heart pain caused by poor blood flow or oxygen deprivation of heart muscle)
Anthony Bray MD : It sounds that one possible cause of your chest pain could be musculoskeletal >>>in particular costochondritis may be a cause.....
Anthony Bray MD : costochondritis is inflammation of one or more segments of the cartilage segments between the sternum and the ribs. This inflammation is often related to a recent respiratory virus. If this is your cause then you may have a spit specifically tender to the side of the sternum....
Anthony Bray MD : if this should be your cause then you may benefit to use an anti- inflammatory( may not be needed if it bothers you very little and rarely)
Anthony Bray MD : you might bring out the pain if costochondritis is the cause to hold your arms in front of you and strongly press your hands together... The muscles being activated may pull vs the cartilage and may reproduce the pain ....
Anthony Bray MD : other causes of a sharp fleeting pain are possible....
Anthony Bray MD : At times patients with conditions such as mitral valve prolapse may produce a short sharp pain especially with an irregular beat....
Anthony Bray MD : As for the feeling of skipped beats the most common reason for this sensation is the occurance of PVCs ( Premature Ventricular Contractions) this are a bit like electrical "hiccups" of the heart or a backwards electrical beat--- these occur in everyone but some people have more than others....
Anthony Bray MD : I can' t tell you that you have PVCs but only that this would seem the most common fit with what you describe with the palpitations....
Anthony Bray MD : You could opt to consult a primary care doctor as a start to check this out further if you wish----it would probably be the more economical way to consider further medical evaluation if felt necessary...
Anthony Bray MD : An. EKG shows the hearts rhythm very detailed over a few seconds but a holter monitor can be set up to watch the Heart's rhythm over 24 hours if this should be felt needed to more completely watch your heart rhythm ....
Anthony Bray MD : if you have frequent PVCs then the easiest way to reduce their frequency may be to take supplemental magnesium( magnesium oxide 400mg/day--- this is available over the counter)
Anthony Bray MD : if you have frequent palpitations or have a strikingly irregular rhythm or rapid rhythm then you SHOULD see a doctor about this....
Anthony Bray MD : the same goes for irregular heart beat accompanied by light headed feeling or passing out or feeling close to doing so...
Anthony Bray MD : So it may be needed to clarify this irregular rhythm and symptom of palpitations ....
Anthony Bray MD : some patients with valve abnormalities may feel brief fleeting pains and this could be checked out with an ultrasound of the heart ...
Anthony Bray MD : A primary care doctor can order this or it could be done in a cardiologist 's office...
Anthony Bray MD : If the brief sharp chest pain being a heart attack related thing is your main concern then let me assure you that this is not the case!!
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this information helps!! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!!
Anthony Bray MD : If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated. Thank You and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer: I really appreciate the help, I wasn't sure if I could reply or not. If so, palpitations are common for me, maybe 2 or 3 a week I suppose.
Anthony Bray MD : Hi again,
Anthony Bray MD : feeliing two or three per week is not bad at all!! That would fall in what we consider a normal range. Some people have them and never feel them though...
Customer: ahh, ok, that's great news then. I've certainly changed my diet this past week, I suppose it's like a wake up call haha.
Anthony Bray MD : Ok well take care--- it sounds to me that your symptoms are really minimal and not really reason to need medical care at this time!!
Customer: Thank you very much for the help, very resourceful!
Anthony Bray MD : Healthy diet and exercise are always recommended for you of course!
Anthony Bray MD : you are very welcome! Take Care!!