Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have been sick for almost 4 months now im wondering if I…

i have been sick for...
i have been sick for almost 4 months now im wondering if I can get some info from you
5/17/2013
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Hi--give me all the information you can about what's going on.
It started out with just a headcold, way back the end of Jan. turned into a chest cold as well, I do have asthma and take both orange and blue puffer, I have been taking them regularly for 2.5 months now, I did go to emerg back April 5th he gave me antibiotics for 10 days I did start to feel better but then about a week later I was worse again and still am, I did go to ermeg last wee again because I have missed 5 weeks of work now and I cant function, I sleep day and night its crazy sleeping 12 hours through night then 2 hour naps during day here and there and still cant function.
I also get hard lumps under jaw area and my neck glands feel swollen, i have been having a hoarse voice for 4 weeks now the last week i have had pretty much no voice, burning in chest, chest feels congested but no cough
OK--and you mentioned some blood work results?
RBC is low, lymphocytes is low, PT is high, glucose is high and creatinine is low, i was negaticve for mono, diabetis and thyroid.
What was your total white cell count and how high was the glucose?
white b c was 8.7
glucose was 6.1
OK. We're you screened for EBV titers and for Lyme disease?
not that i know, would it say those things on bloodwork papers i have them here i don't see those letters.
How about your thyroid function--has that been checked?
they did blood work to check thyroid it came back negative as well as mono testing
Sorry--you mentioned low RBC's--what was your hemoglobin and hematocrit?
Do you mean HGB was 129 and HCT.38
OK--then you aren't anemic Sorry for all the questions here. Did you get a chest x-ray?
no he said i sound clear
am i getting charged extra for more than 15 minutes?
No--same price no matter how long we take here. One more thing--you mentioned not being able to function--besides the excess sleeping can you tell me what you meant by that?
no energy, cant function to do my work which is a bookkeeper, just so tired
OK--here are my thoughts. First off, even with the negative mono screen, you may have elevated EBV titers and so are actually suffering from mono and that can take up to six weeks to resolve. That said, you may have low thyroid despite the lab results if your TSH was 3.0 or higher. Finally, I would also consider Lyme disease even if you don't recally a tick bite, so I would screen you for that, too.
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)