Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

I'm lossing my hair a lot. It''s been a month since it

I'm lossing my hair a lot. It''s been a month since it started, And I already am showing empty spots in my hair. All my blood tests are normal. I was hospitalized for a month due to severe .eumonia And a bacteria in my right lung. Also got a pleural effussion. I was jnder antibiotic since jan.22-april 4, 2013. I loose over 25lbs in fhat time frame. What can I take or do to stop hair to lose, how long will it take to stop And start growing? Thank u.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Hair loss in females could be due to the interplay of multiple factors. In your case, hair loss might be due to prolonged use of stress and anxiety, low thyroid hormone levels (common in females), intake of medicines like for depression, poor diet, chronic illness etc.

The same causes that resulted in weight loss may also cause hair loss. (as mentioned above).

You should see a dermatologist who could examine your scalp and give you an appropriate cause for the hair loss.

You can use minoxidil . Minoxidil is an over-the-counter liquid or foam that you rub into your scalp twice daily to grow hair and to prevent further loss. Some people experience some hair regrowth or a slower rate of hair loss or both. It may take 12 weeks for new hair to start growing. Minoxidil is available in a 2 percent solution and in a 5 percent solution. Side effects can include scalp irritation and occasionally unwanted hair growth on the adjacent skin of the forehead or face.

I think you need to talk to a dermatologist about using this product after a physical examination of your scalp.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you dr.
I did go to a dermatologist And my thyroides are in good levels. She send me.vitamins, And mentioned that my illness And the weight loss could be the reason. But that's it.. Her appointment lasted less than 5min. :0(
But, it is normail that my scalp hurts all day, everyday, even to place my Head in the pillow?
The scalp pain could be co incidental. You have to exclude fungal infection , dandruff and seborrhea (excess scalp oil) which are also a few common causes for hair loss. Talk with your doctor.This is important because these conditions are easily treatable.

Besides minoxidil, there are also supplements and dietary changes that help to prevent further hair loss and nourish the remaining growing hairs.

Dietary changes: Include omega-3 fatty acids in your diet. Try to eat salmon (preferable wild Alaskan salmon), sardines, herring or mackerel two or three times a week. Or, sprinkle two tablespoons of freshly ground flaxseeds per day on your cereal or salads, or eat walnuts.

Supplements:Try the essential fatty acid called GLA (gamma-linolenic acid) in the form of black currant oil or evening primrose oil, available in capsules or soft gels at health food stores. Take 500 mg of either twice a day. Be patient. You won't see results for six to eight weeks.

Both of them has been scientifically studies to promote hair growth

I hope my answer has helped you.

Thanks for the accept.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the advise. I will get those vitamins And will be patient. God bless u.
God bless you too!