A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

8 weeks post op from total hysterectomy pain in the left

Customer Question

8 weeks post op from total hysterectomy pain in the left side is this normal?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 years ago.

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is ***** ***** I will help you.

You shouldn't be having pain from the hysterectomy after 8 weeks. Where in the left side is the pain.

Best,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just under my ribs and it's more painful to touch goes down to just even with my hip bone

Thanks for the additional information. As you proabably know, your uterus and left ovary were no where in that region, so any discomfort would not be associated with scar tissue formation or other fall-out from the hysterectomy.

Pain in that area is most likely a digestive issue. It could be gas. There is little in that area but the stomach, spleen and colon. The possibilites would include things lke ulcer, pancreatitis, biliary colic, constipation, gas, and many other things. If it doesn't improve or gets worse, you would need to see your primary provider.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ya they warned me about the digestive issues but honestly things could NOT be any more normal in that "area". It gets worse depending upon the way I move and at times feels like pins and needles on the skin. It's worse when clothing rubs on it but no rash or red areas.

Gee, that is unusual. While it is common for gas to be better/worse depending on how you move, the pins and needles feeling on the skin isn't something you hear about associated with it. Pins and needles sounds more like nerve pain. On a scale of 0-10 with 0 being no pain, how painful is it?

Schuyler

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's really just like a 4 nothing really debilitating but enough that I just want to lay down. Normal activities such as working (I just work at a desk) or cleaning house make it worse. It ranges from a dull ache to more of a needle kind of stab.

I think you really need to have a hands-on exam. Your primary provider will be fine since this is unlikely to be from the surgery. I wish I could tell you what is causing it, but someone needs to see you in person and poke around in your upper abdomen (not pleasant, I know), perhaps order an ultrasound and other tests to see what's going on in there.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay thanks! :)

You're so very welcome. Hope it feels better soon!

Schuyler