911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I was in the E.D. yesterday. A technician disconnected my

I was in the E.D. yesterday. A technician disconnected my I.V. and EKG leads and said I was free to go. My nurse and evaluating ED physician did not come in to give me written/verbal discharge instructions. I asked the technician, "Well, is that it? Am I free to leave?" She said yes. So, I left since my nurse/physician were no where to be found. I put in a call to the Director of the E.D. today and left a voicemail after 6 p.m. Would this scenario be, potentially, considered a violation of the HIPAA PRIVACY RULE, Title 45 C.F.R. 164 Subpart E? Is there anything else I can do to resolve this?
911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

thank you for requesting me

911Doctor :

I can not see how this would possibly violate HIPAA

911Doctor :

though I am not an expert on HIPAA

911Doctor :

do you wish me to open this to another expert?

911Doctor :

in the meantime I will look up the relevant section

911Doctor :

so the question is whether or not your private health information was inappropriately disclosed

911Doctor :

and I can't see how that happened

911Doctor :

I am standing by for your response.

Customer:

No, the question is "not" whether or not my private health information was inappropriately disclosed. I "did not " receive any discharge instructions, either verbal or written: this is the issue.

911Doctor :

please never request me again. good luck.

Customer:

I won't. I CLEARLY stated that I did not receive written or verbal discharge instructions. You gave me very poor feedback. Sorry.

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Your question was "

I was in the E.D. yesterday. A technician disconnected my I.V. and EKG leads and said I was free to go. My nurse and evaluating ED physician did not come in to give me written/verbal discharge instructions. I asked the technician, "Well, is that it? Am I free to leave?" She said yes. So, I left since my nurse/physician were no where to be found. I put in a call to the Director of the E.D. today and left a voicemail after 6 p.m. Would this scenario be, potentially, considered a violation of the HIPAA PRIVACY RULE, Title 45 C.F.R. 164 Subpart E? Is there anything else I can do to resolve this? "

It is not a violation of HIPAA which involves privacy rights and protection of patient health information.

As for what you can do to resolve the situation on not being given written discharge instructions, you would need to report this to the hospital administrator. Most hospitals require that a nurse go over written discharge instructions with you, and have you sign a form that you understand the instructions. If a patient is unable, then a responsible person who is with them can sign for them. Clearly, the technician had no authority to discharge you.

Is this the question you wanted answered?

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, thank-you. I contacted the Director of the E.D. and have a phone conference scheduled with the Patient-Care Coordinator and a physician who is the Patient Quality Director for the E.D. next week. I will also report it to the Hospital Administrator.

Great! This obviously isn't the way emergency departments should be run. Technicians are not allowed to discharge patients and you always need to have the discharge signed by the patient or the patient representative.

Good luck!

Schuyler