Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am a 73 year-old female with MVP and have been taking

I am a 73 year-old female with MVP and have been taking levothyroxin (formerly 75 mg Synthroid, now on generic) for at least 35 years. I experienced mild chest pain that didn't go away last fall, so ended up in the ER to find out what was happening. I was kept at the hospital overnight to have a treadmill test done the next morning. While sitting in a chair after the test, the Dr. said he detected irregular heart beats and said it was A fib. I have also been told a few years earlier after having worn a monitor that I had irregular heart beats, but it was nothing serious.
Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : The atrial fibrillation is an irregular heart rhythm . The beta blocker may help to control the rate if you have ongoing Afib...
Anthony Bray MD : If you have ongoing Afib or recurrent then it would help protect you from risk of stroke to be on a blood thinning medication > Coumadin , Pradaxa, or the new Xarelto ...
Anthony Bray MD : The risk of clot formation in the heart which may break loose to cause a stroke is higher in the condition of atrial fibrillation ....
Anthony Bray MD : If not already done so then you may benefit to see a cardiologist with regard to the atrial fibrillation... The rhythm may be corrected to normal by electrical cardioversion treatment , medications, or consideration of ablation procedures --/ ablation procedures may be helpful to settle the atrial fibrillation issue for you if this is an ongoing rhythm...
Anthony Bray MD : Your symptom if feeling cold at 70 degrees could reflect a need to adjust your thyroid medicine....
Anthony Bray MD : I would recommend that your thyroid function tests be rechecked to see if this may be related...
Anthony Bray MD : the weight gain and cold intolerance would not be expected to be symptoms of the metoprolol...
Anthony Bray MD : this beta blocker can cause a sense of fatigue as a common side effect...
Customer:

Thank you most kindly! I will have another TSH done soon. I must leave to check my mother who is in pain...

Anthony Bray MD : I hope that this information helps! Let me know if you have further questions/ information / discussion and I will be happy to get back with you!!