How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robert Fernando Your Own Question
Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 6680
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
Type Your Health Question Here...
Robert Fernando is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 31 years old and have a constant and severe pain behind

This answer was rated:

I am 31 years old and have a constant and severe pain behind my right ear. It has been getting worse over the last 3 days. I have tried Motrin, tylinol, excedrine migraine, hot and cold pads and nothing as worked
Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-
Do you have discharge through right ear?
Is ear painful to touch?
Swollen lymph node behind or below right ear?
On a grade of 1 to 10 how would you rate the pain?
Any past related medical issue?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The ear itself does not have any pain. No discharge. Just behind the ear hurts
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Pain has grow to 8
Dear *****h, Thanks for providing quick additional information. I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.
I understand that you have constant and severe pain just behind
right ear for last 3 days.
Such symptoms can occur with a condition- Trigeminal Neuralgia.
Constant and severe pain which has become worsened in last 3 days, without any other symptoms make this diagnosis very likely.
The first line of treatment is medication- Carbamazepine (Tegretol, Carbatrol).
Along with this Antispasmodic agents or Muscle-relaxing agents such as baclofen (Gablofen, Lioresal) are effective.
As such painkiller like Motrin is of no use in this condition.
A neurological examination along with conduct reflex tests can be done by your doctor for diagnosis. If required Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan of head can be advised.
I would suggest that you should not delay and get it managed ASAP.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Robert Fernando and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you