Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My recent blood tests as part of my regular annual physical

My recent blood tests as part of my regular annual physical showed my B12 level as 1353. I do not take any B12 supplements, nor is there any B12 in my multivitamin (I take Ocuvite). I have Type 2 Diabetes, taking 500 mg Metformin twice a day. My doctor says the elevated B12 is not significant, but I've done some reading, and I wonder if I need to get another opinion.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Vitamin B12 can be found in the diet as well especially in animal proteins like meat, fish etc.

mysticdoc :

High B12 level is not clinically significant since your other blood tests are normal.

mysticdoc :

Rarely, elevated B12 level is found in liver disease and also leukemias

mysticdoc :

However, in such cases, your blood count and liver enzymes should also be abnormal.

mysticdoc :

Hence, complete blood count, and liver function test should be checked if not already.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

mysticdoc :

Are you able to read my replies above?

mysticdoc : Thanks for your question.
mysticdoc : Vitamin B12 can be found in the diet as well especially in animal proteins like meat, fish etc.
mysticdoc : High B12 level is not clinically significant since your other blood tests are normal.
mysticdoc : Rarely, elevated B12 level is found in liver disease and also leukemias
mysticdoc : However, in such cases, your blood count and liver enzymes should also be abnormal.
mysticdoc : Hence, complete blood count, and liver function test should be checked if not already.
mysticdoc : Best wishes,
This is the link to my profile:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your answer. I've been having problems on the site being able to reply -- it's like the screen was frozen or something.

My WBC was 7.6 and RBC was 5.07. Which results indicate liver function?

Your wbc and rbc are normal.
The liver tests should include AST (SGOT), ALT (SGPT), ALP, bilirubin.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't see results for ALP, but the AST is 18.0, ALT 39.0 and bilirubin 0.8. So I guess I'm okay.

These results are normal.
Yes you are fine.
Do not worry.