Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

Is it possible for someone with Schizophrenia to look in the

Is it possible for someone with Schizophrenia to look in the mirror and at themselves and see themselves look completely different than what the look like in reality, all the time? Can they see themselves as a different race, hair color, eye color, weight, etc., than they look in reality? They would not be on drugs or anything, just having a hallucination all the time. Is this possible? Has this ever happened to other Schizophrenics, if so, what is this condition called?
medtech254 :

Yes this is possible. This is called a Mirror gazing illusion and is common in schizophrenia.

medtech254 :

The amount of difference can vary greatly but it can include skin color, etc based on the perception of the patient.

medtech254 :

The most common is to see a monstrous appearance.

Customer:

I have had halluinations while looking in the mirror. Can I have them just looking at myself and not the mirror at all times?

medtech254 :

Yes with schizophrenia the perception of reality is skewed and so the mind interprets the reality incorrectly and you can see this while simply looking at yourself and not necessarily in the mirror.

medtech254 :

This perception is also responsible often for paranoia, etc.

Customer:

Ok. Thank you for your help.

medtech254 :

You are very welcome!

Customer:

Bye.