Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I have suddenly started having serious muscle locks. They are

I have suddenly started having serious muscle locks. They are extremely painful. several times my neck has locked up, like i had my neck turned a little getting in bed,and it locked up like it was such pain, I could move it made it worse, as if it was contracted and could not straighten back out. This has happened several times, always in bed getting comfortable. The same happened with my back,upper left, last night I was getting comfortable and wham I couldn't move I was in so much pain I was actually uncontrollably moaning in agony. It was like a piercing pain and muscle knot. It was so bad I thought Lord my lung has collapsed,lol. My legs are doing it almost every night. like charlie horses amplified by 20. If I try and flex or un-flex foot its impossible, like my muscle is concrete and I am ripping it. after it goes away suddenly, I am ok..not really sore. Now I have had a problem with lower back for a year now, when I 1st wake up I can not turn very far, I have to force with all my might and hold by breathe to turn(not be be distasteful, but referring to wiping after restroom use), however I am not convinced that is connected to these new problems, they seem different. I do have Psoriatic Arthritis and severe psoriasis, but I feel this current is Not a joint but a muscle. Any ideas?

Associated morning stiffness in joints?

Swelling on affected areas?

Are you taking any medications?

Have you undergone any investigations,bloodwork recently?

What is your occupation?

Have you seen your doctor so far?

Any other medical history like diabetes,etc?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Only the stiffness in the lower back in mornings..had it Long before this locking up started. No swelling from the incidents, I do swell sometimes in my ankles and lower legs and stomach(not often). I take Spireva, I have emphysema. no bloodwork or investigations from a doctor. I have been looking on "symtom" sites, was reading about fibermyalga..but..I dont know. These seem like sudden attacks on all three areas without any problems before or after incidents. I am a correctional Officer in a prison. No doctors seen. Always been borderline diabetic, but haven't been checked in a few years, to busy college, single mom of 2 , and full time work..I have also notice a serious change in my eyesight like I am driving without my glasses, kinda blurry, not severe blurry but enough to know something has suddenly happened to my eyes and muscles at the same time. Very alarming.

Thanks for providing more information.

Firstly as your describe in my opinion,you shouldn't ignore your symptoms and left them untreated as you are suffering from last few months.

And as you have severe pain at different areas so possible causes may include Fibromyalgia,Diabetes,progressive nature of arthritis.

Uncontrolled diabetes or high blood sugar levels can result in pain in legs.

Even high blood sugar levels affect kidney resulting in renal disease and it can be a contributing factor in fluid retention in lower extremities(swollen ankles,lower legs).

Fibromyalgia is characterized by pain to specific areas of your body, called tender points like back of the head,between shoulder blades,top of shoulders,front sides of neck,hips, knees,calves.

So it should be ruled out.

As you have history of Psoriatic arthritis so if you are not taking any medications so it can be progressive in nature.

Muscular overexertion,herniated disc,vitamin deficiencies,electrolyte imbalance are other causes.

So you need to be seen by your doctor for a clinical examination and undergo blood work like CBC,ESR,Serum glucose,Serum electrolyte,Renal function test,MRI of spine for further evaluation.

In the meantime you should take OTC Motrin.

Also do gentle massage and apply warm compresses on back of neck.

And a referral to Rheumatologist should be considered.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I agree with all you stated, except it does not seem any you named has to do with the muscles. the pain is not on going it is during the episode of about 30 seconds when the muscles seem to knot up, tighten, lock up in my neck 4 different nights, legs 5 nights, and once in back. these seem to be lick charlie horses but much worse. (also the blurry vision started this week, not during episodes). Maybe I am miss understanding you or you me??:)

Well i understand your concern that trigger points i mentioned are not the same as you have in other different areas as well.

However Fibromyalgia can also affects legs,back.

As you feel muscle knots so these can be associated with arthritis,Muscular overexertion,potassium & magnesium imbalance.

And as you have lower back pain so there can be nerve compression in lumbosacral spine which result in intermittent pain in legs,back for few seconds to minutes at certain positions.

Blurred vision can be caused due to eye strain,Diabetes,lack of sleep,vision refractive error.So an eye examination should be done.

Having said this,i suggest you to take some break from your work and make an appointment with your doctor for a clinical examination and investigations for further evaluation and management.

In the meantime you should start multivitamin containing B complex,magnesium,potassium.

Also do gentle massage on affected area.

Physical therapy can be helpful.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Thank you.