Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have pain on my right side of my back. It goes away during

I have pain on my right side of my back. It goes away during the daytime but comes back in the evening. Now it's going up into my neck. It's been happening off and on for about a week. I went to the doctor yesterday but the pain was gone so I didn't really focus on that. Tonight it's back again and gets worse if I sit for too long or when I sleep on my right side at night.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-
On a grade of 1 to 10 how would you rate the pain?
Do you work on computer for long hours?
Do you have numbness or radiating pain towards arm?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

During the day it's a 0 at night about an 8. Heat helps the pain and this roll medication stuff my husband has. But when I sleep and I do on my right side when I get up and go to the bathroom and have to stand up after it almost takes my breath away. it's bad. It doesn't hurt when I go to the bathroom-- but it's when I try and get up. I am on high blood pressure medication and I did start working out two weeks ago on a crosstrainer.

But the pain comes back every time at night. Right around 8.

Dear *****, Thanks for providing quick additional information. I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.
It sounds to be nerve root compression, The compression of lumbar nerves L4 or L5 or sacral nerves will cause such symptoms.
It is reason that you get pain, during certain postures, while you sleep.
It can occur with lumbar radiculopathy,spinal disc herniation or due to wear and tear or degeneration of the discs. Further it can put pressure on associated nerves. This can lead to radiating pain going towards neck.
It is diagnosed with help of MRI of spine.
The line of treatment is- physical therapy and oral medications, if required epidural steroid injections may be considered.
Physical therapy would be helpful.It includes various modalities like Short wave diathermy, Infra red ,Wax therapy ,these will help you a lot.
Also Stretching exercises for your back can help you feel better and may help relieve nerve root compression.
Use of Local analgesic cream would be helpful.
Back brace can restrict movements, and help in quick recovery.
You should avoid any lifting or pushing / pulling weights or heavy objects.
I suggest that you should consult Orthopedician for management of this issue.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Someone just told me it could be lung cancer. But would the pain go away with heat? and would it stop hurting during the day. I haven't smoked at all except a little time in my twenties.

Brenda, I would not panic for serious issue like cancer.
As pain is coming with change in body postures, and it temporary goes away with heat, so it is most likely nerve compression.
It is not related with cancer.
This condition is diagnosed with help of MRI of spine.