A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

what causes my hamstring muscle to decide it wants to tie itself

what causes my hamstring muscle to decide it wants to tie itself in a knot and hurt like heck, the only thing I can do is straighten my leg as straight as possible and it finally stops. you got any kind if information on leg cramps that you could share? Altho it seems like it may be kind of hard to perform a study on leg cramps, bein so intermittent and all. Any way you got anything I would be grateful

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you.

As often as not, no cause is found for leg cramps, even after substantial testing and examination. They can be caused by medications, by nerve damage, osteoporosis, diabetes and other endocrine diseases, dehydration, and about 40 other things. Just aging is one possible cause. Leg cramps increase in frequency as one ages.

Straightening the affected leg along with massage can help relax the muscle spams. Ice applied afterward can help with bruising of the muscle fibers.

Making sure you have sufficient fluids can also help if dehydration is a cause. Your primary provider would need to check medications and electrolyte levels to see if that could be part of the problem.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Schuyler