How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. R. Bora Your Own Question
Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 5233
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. R. Bora is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is for an allergist. My wife is having chest congestion

Resolved Question:

This is for an allergist. My wife is having chest congestion (bronchitis) twice/year, due to allergies. Sometimes she has to take an antibiotic and steroid dose pack. OK now and is on Singulair and Azelastine nose spray and doing better. Did have allergy tests yesterday and is very allergic to cats (which we knew) and then to grasses and trees, mainly bermuda grass, oak and elm. The only cat around is a stray that we feed, but do not allow in house. Wife pets it twice a week, but washes hands. Allergist says there is no treatment for the grasses and trees and she will have to control outside exposure, spray nose with saline spray and take Singulair and azelastine daily forever. Your thoughts? No treatment for grasses and trees in way of shots or drops under tongue?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just answer.

You are looking for an allergist here, but there are none online.

I have read your question,may I help you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you may help, as I assume you have extensive knowledge and experience in this problem.
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 4 years ago.
Hello James.

The answer to your question, firstly taking singulair itself should take care of the allergy to grasses and trees. However, if this does not seem to help, you have to try something called "desensitization" or allergen immunotherapy. Allergen immunotherapy can be administered under the tongue (sublingually with drops or tablets) or by injections under the skin (subcutaneous). (I guess you were referring to that by shots or drops under tongue).

Sublingual immunotherapy is as of today the preferred form of immunotherapy for physicians and patients: it involves putting drops or a tablet of allergen extracts under the tongue to swallow the extract. It allows the body to become tolerant of the allergen by absorbing the allergen through the stomach lining. Please have a look up this link for more information about sublingual immunotherapy.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Dr. R. Bora and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Very helpful. Will check with the doctor on the link.
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the accept.

Hope that your wife gets over with the allergies.

You can give me feedback.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't see where I should click on Great Service, or, Informative and Helpful, or, Got the Job Done on any of the answers I have received over past months. I usually send 4-5 Smiley faces. Any suggestions? I have a monthly subscription for unlimited Q and A.
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 4 years ago.

5 smiley face is for great service .
4 is for informative and helpful.

So, you can click on these smiley faces when send the above messages to the expert.

Thanks for the accept.
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 4 years ago.
Hello James,
How have you been doing?
I have answered your question.
May I help you further?
Dr. Bora.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We are fine, Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 4 years ago.