How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Schuyler, NP Your Own Question
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 16310
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
Type Your Health Question Here...
A. Schuyler, NP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

WHy is is so hard to get pain medicine after my doctor

This answer was rated:

WHy is is so hard to get pain medicine after my doctor passed away? It is only a class 4


Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to answer your question.

What specific medication are you seeking?

Has your new physician refused to prescribe pain medications or otherwise help your discomfort?

Looking forward to hearing from you,


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes maam, I cannot even find a Doctor who will see me because of the medicine I take in the area I live in. I take Butophanol NS for chronic pain and have since 1989. I can live without it but mny quality of lif iant that good. I amm allergic to codeine derivatives and have taken everything from migraine meds to seizure meds during my life time, andit seems like the fibro is genetic, but the nerve bundle is not, it was from an accident and is in the right sinus. I ahve had fulgurations, shots, blocks, neuropathies, etc, and the doctor i ahd for last four months left the state and my long time dr passed away.

Butorphenol (Stadol) is no longer available as a brand name from the manufacturer. It is still available as a generic form, but is primarily prescribed at pain clinics. It is a synthetic opioid similar to morphine.

I can tell you how to get in to see a physician. First, you should never indicate over the telephone that you are requesting a controlled substance, or even mention what you have been taking.

First establish a new patient visit with the new physician, bringing old prescription records an your medical records from your former provider. Then consider being flexible about what treatment modalities the new physician advises. If you tell the receptionist all about the pain medication on the telephone, they will sometimes just not even schedule an appointment.

The new physician may recommend a different pain treatment plan, or refer you to a pain management clinic. In any event, you will have been examined by a provider and not be at the mercy of a receptionist.

Best regards,


A. Schuyler, NP and other Health Specialists are ready to help you